Sent from my iPhone

> On May 30, 2015, at 10:27 AM, "Michael Eisen" <mbei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There is no evidence that post publication review can assure quality, I
> agree. But there is a wealth of evidence that pre-publication review DOES NOT
> assure quality, and it is absurd to spend $10b a year and delay the open
> availability of typical papers by 10 months to achieve it

Comment:  this seems to overlap
somewhat with my perspective that the current system has incentives to delay
sharing what we know and even hoarding of research data. As a new professor on
the tenure data I have found it a challenge to maintain my commitment to an
open research approach, knowing that tenure committees as well as tenure and
grant application reviewers may dismiss this work and focus solely on the
traditional prestige measures of journals I publish.

Because I realize people are struggling right now with the issues I am
researching (economics of transition to open access), I have decided to
prioritize knowledge sharing and the open research process.

Open research to me starts with discussing the research questions. If we've got
this wrong better to find out before you start the research, not a year or two
later when the work is peer reviewed. Tell people what you are doing so we can
avoid duplication where extreme accuracy and replication is less important. In
pharmacy research, a small difference in dosage can make a difference between
life or death. I doubt that anyone will die as a result of my currency
calculation error earlier this week; on the contrary, comments from Dana, Jan
and David have deepened my understanding of this issue.

Let's share our data to the extent we can (given things like privacy rights),
and just as soon as it's in a shape where others could use it. We will complete
our capture of OA APC data for 2015 sometime today, but it takes months to
process the raw data and enter it into a spreadsheet. If anyone is in a hurry
and would like a copy of the approximately 2,000 files of various types that
lie behind this project, please let me know.

We are writing up our results and discussion as we go along, on the
sustainingknowledgecommons.org blog and through this list. That's why I have
been commenting rather frequently lately.

Last year I found this helpful in writing up the article. To some extent, this
reflects my style. Others should find ways of sharing that suit them. Some
people like wikis. I detest wikis - the format and others editing the work,
that is, not the idea. If you like the wiki style, then please wiki away.

This kind of open research is a huge change and will be a learning curve for
all of us. What works for one researcher or discipline may not work for
another. Let's open our results, our processes and our hearts to those whose
learning may curve in a different arc than our own.

best,

Heather