On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Michael Eisen <mbei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a difference between trying to be inclusive, and redefining goals
> and definitions to the point of being meaningless. I can not tell you how
> many times I hear that the NIH provides open access because they make
> articles freely available after a year. This is not just semantics. The
> belief that the NIH provides open access with its public access policy
> provides real drag on the quest to provide actual open access. You can
> argue about whether or not the policy is a good thing because it's a step
> in the right direction, or a bad thing because it reifies delayed access.
> But calling what the provide "open access" serves only to confuse people,
> to weaken our objectives and give the still far more powerful forces who do
> not want open access a way to resist pressure for it.

It's nice to be able to agree with Mike Eisen.

Open Access (OA) comes in two degrees
<http://www.sparc.arl.org/resource/gratis-and-libre-open-access>: *Gratis
OA* is immediate, permanent free online access and *Libre OA* is Gratis OA
plus various re-use rights (up to CC-BY or even public domain).

What both degrees of OA share is that they are both immediate (and
permanent) <http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march05/harnad/03harnad.html>.

Otherwise, there's just Delayed (Embargoed) Access, which is no more "Open
Access" than Toll Access is.

To treat Delayed Access as if it were a form of Open Access would be to
reduce OA to meaninglessness (and would play into the hands of publishers
who would like to see precisely that happen).

Stevan Harnad