So many natural questions come to mind; here are a few:

1. This is a new start-up journal, and a megajournal, and an OA journal:
How representative of anything is the initial uptake rate for open peer
review: for quality? for scaleability? for sustainability?

2. On what evidence is it stated that most peer review (with established
journals) involves author anonymity and referee anonymity? (My own guess
would be that most is just optional referee anonymity.)

3. The purpose of referee anonymity is frank reviewing witthout risk of
retribution: How does open review ensure this (rather than the opposite)?
(Should all election voting be open too?)

4. The purpose of author non-anonymity is to allow referees to take into
account the author’s track record in evaluating new work: What evidence is
there that quality control is as good as or better than the current level
when track-record is withheld?

5. Collabra is a “megajournal,” covering many fields: Is the answer to
these questions likely to be the same for all fields?

6. Individual journals, too, have track-records for quality-control
standards. How does one determine the track record of a megajournal: the
average across all fields?

7. Why open peer review rather than open peer commentary following peer
review, revision and acceptance? (The referees can be invited to comment
openly too: I always did this when I edited BBS. And I've never chosen the
anonymity option when reviewing for any journal.)

On the other hand, offering the referees of accepted papers the option of
being named as the referees sounds like a good option, with no down side.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 4:39 AM, Richard Poynder <ri...@richardpoynder.co.uk