Mr. Beall thinks that "predatory" journals are OA journals. The problem
is, thanks in part to his very list, we know that these publications are
not scientific journals at all. Excluding them, therefore, is quite
legitimate.

DOAJ journals, by contrast, try to cover all legitimate OA scholarly
journals. That they do not cover the whole set of OA journals is not the
greatest discovery on earth, but with over 10,000 titles, it does
represent a remarkably fair sample as it must already cover well over
half of all existing, legitimate, OA scholarly journals. Calling this
cherry-picking is entirely off the target.

"Predatory" journals, to repeat myself, are not legitimate scholarly
journals: at the very least, Mr. Beall and I can agree on this. So let
us not confuse potatoes with tomatoes, please...

Incidentally, could Mr. Beall clarify what he means by "the entire
cohort of OA journals". If he means DOAJ plus his list, see my first
paragraph above.

Calling Peter Suber - one of the most responsible individual I know -
irresponsible is typical of Mr. Beall's uncontrolled forms of
expression. The most recent example was his comparison of SciELO with a
favela.

The problem with Mr. Beall is quite simple: he is fundamentally against
open access for obscure reasons, and he uses "predatory" journals as a
proof that OA is evil, or something like this. If anyone has any doubt
about Beall's feeling about OA, just read his "non-peer-reviewed" piece
in an ... OA journal called TripleC :   “The Open-Access Movement is Not
Really about Open Access,” tripleC: Communication, Capitalism &
Critique. Open Access Journal for a Global Sustainable Information
Society.Vol. 11 No. 2 (2013), 589-97, available on-line
athttp://triplec.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/525

The same journal, in vol. 12, has an interesting study of Beall's form
of discourse.

If I were someone opposed or simply sceptical with regard to OA, I
suspect I would feel a bit embarrassed by Mr. Beall's behaviour, a bit
like some Republicans in the US are embarrassed by Mr. Trump. Thank
whomever you want, transcendental or not, Mr. Beall is not a
billionaire...

--
Jean-Claude Guédon

Professeur titulaire