CLARITY: No this is not exactly correct.

Jeffrey Beall was one of several people who were involved in the call-to-action
sessions at the ISMTE meeting in August of this year. The structure of the
Coalition proposal was primarily my contribution, in discussions with Hazel
Newton of (now) Springer Nature, and Josh Dahl of Thomson Reuters. Jeffrey was
included in all pertinent discussion immediately prior to the call-to-action
session at the ISMTE meeting, and in many of the updates that followed.

The development of the CRPR initiative is totally in isolation of Jeffrey
Beall's activities; while he is in public support of the initiative and is free
to become a Member once the organization structure is finalized, there is no
direct alignment inferred between the activities of the Coalition and that
undertaken independently by Jeffrey Beall. Jeffrey is free to label an entity
as predatory/questionable and/or otherwise as he chooses. The Coalition
activities are designed to independently validate by committee, on the basis of
an audit and through industry feedback, the ethical nature of business conduct
and good publication practices of an entity; the Member disclosure upon which
the membership is validated will be presented behind the Coalition membership
mark (the badge).

The initiative is meant to be a coalition of people, organizations, and
companies (publisher, journal, organization, and service sector) from across
industries, including both the publishing sector as well as the pharmaceutical
sector. There may be differences of opinion between the Coalition determination
of ethical conduct of a person or entity versus what Jeffrey Beall might
contend; the determination of membership in the Coalition may draw upon Jeffrey
Beall's findings (if available as "body of knowledge"), but the determination
of membership in the Coalition would be discussed and voted on by Committee and
not by any one person alone (much like a peer review process).

The business model to support Coalition activities would be based upon a
non-profit entity membership model. To become a Member, the person,
organization, or company would need to disclose basic business information (via
a self-report audit) in order for the Coalition to validate the existence and
business practices of the entity. The existence and the ethical conduct of the
entity over time would then be validated annually, or from time-to-time as
events require.

In essence, the CRPR initiative is designed as a broad-stroke white-list
approach, and beyond the public display of the Coalition mark, the Coalition
will have many other ongoing activities in coordinating efforts to uncover and
report identified unethical or fraudulent practices to its membership
(crowdsourced and shared intelligence, offering efficiencies of effort and
resources; this has already been put into action through uncovering some of the
anti-fraud activities taking place in China).

I hope this helps. There is a vast amount of information offered in the
narrative provided in the Scholarly Kitchen blog post
(http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2015/09/16/validating-author-services-providers-qa-with-donald-samulack),
 as well as behind the video links listed on the SK blog post and the
RPRcoalition.org website.

For further information or interest in alignment, I invite anyone to contact me
for offline discussions.

Cheers,

Don

Donald Samulack, PhD