Hi Andrew,
It is very difficult to comment on a process where a variety of voices have
heard and the final decision is still to be made (ministry, than
parliamentary), but yes, article 9 has been the focus of attention for the
research community:
- the initial draft was rather publisher friendly with long embargoes (12 - 24)
and prevention of commercial re-use
- the community at large has pushed dramatically reduce embargoes (amendment by
CNRS) and even suggest that we should get rid of them (amendment di Cosmo) or
leave the author’s manuscript free of any constraint (Inria)
- there is an attempt to re-introduce an exemption for TDM which had disappear
between an early draft of the law and the one made available for public
consultation
It seems that the community has been heard and that we may have a more
favorable draft at the next stage.
Still, the important aspect related to this law is that it made many of use
read thoughtfully the Code de la Propriété Intellectuel and converge on the
idea that it is not allowing any kind of non remunerated (exclusive) copyright
transfer. Quick some good news for French scholars who have been forced to sign
such (illegal) CTA.
Have a good week-end,
Laurent

Laurent Romary