To me its very clear how publishers like Elsevier operate. Their only obligation is shareholder value, that is profits. Both selling subscription e-licenses and APC the strategy is clear. Each dollar they can extract from clients above the marginal costs of the service increases their profits. So even a low priced (APC) journal for African authors is worthwhile if it cheap to run (and megajournals are cheaper and also enjoy returns to scale). And these are dollars which Elsevier won't get otherwise. It's like airplane ticketing.

Merry Christmas to you all on the list

Bo-Christer Björk