On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 5:24 AM, David Prosser <david.pros...@rluk.ac.uk>
wrote:

> While we huff and puff about Berlin 12 and ridiculous suggestions that the
> entire open access movement is slipping ‘into closed mode’, Elsevier is
> having confidential meetings with UK Government Ministers of State.
> Meetings that are apparently not covered by the Freedom of Information Act:
>

> https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/302242/response/745563/attach/3/FOI%20Request%20ref%20FOI2015%2025797%20Meetings%20between%20BIS%20officials%20ministers%20and%20Elsevier%20Thompson%20Reuters.pdf
>
> I know which of these cases of ‘secrecy’ I find more concerning. -- David

Spot-on, David.

Elsevier's "confidential" lobbying and deal-making
<https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=GJhyVJa4I8qC8QfFsIHIDg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:openaccess.eprints.org+(lobby+OR+lobbying)>
-- especially
with the UK's gullible government that led to the infamous Finch fiasco
<https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=GJhyVJa4I8qC8QfFsIHIDg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:openaccess.eprints.org+finch>
(not
yet over, but damage-limited now by the HEFCE/REF2020 immediate-deposit
mandate
<https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=GJhyVJa4I8qC8QfFsIHIDg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:openaccess.eprints.org+((HEFCE+OR+REF2020)+%22immediate+deposit%22)>)
-- is where the real action (and damage) is.

The endless, empty Berlin/Max-Planck performance series is of no interest
or consequence.

The silly sniping at EOS by PM-R & RA are just light entertainment at a
time when there is no substantive OA news to report.

*Ceterum censeo*,* if effective immediate-deposit mandates are adopted by
all funders and institutions, the Elsevier lobbying will be completely
unavailing and ineffectual. *

Of course Elsevier knows this, and hence the thrust of their "confidential"
lobbying is transparent to anyone who has been paying attention:

(1) Show "confidential" financial data that make it look as if OA can be
had at no extra cost over current expenditures,

(2) in the form of paid Gold OA,

(3) if funders and institutions simply "leave it to us
<https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=GJhyVJa4I8qC8QfFsIHIDg&gws_rd=ssl#q=host:openaccess.eprints.org+(%22leave+it+to+us%22+OR+trojan+OR+CHORUS+OR+%22Let+us%22)>"
[publishers] to manage a "gradual transition" (certainly not a "flip."
which publishers know full well would be highly unstable and impermanent,
and would quickly transform into a "flop" because of institutional, funder
and national defections)

*(4) and, most important, desist from mandating  immediate Green OA, which
would -- they never cease to bray -- destroy the entireêer-reviewed
research journal publication system.*

That's about it. It's all bogus, and easily shown to be bogus, but as long
as the publishing lobby can make its pitch behind closed doors, with no one
to provide the evidence that it's bogus, they can keep retarding progress.

But I can't say it enough:

If all funders and institutions just go ahead and mandate immediate-deposit
(not even necessarily immediate-OA, thanks to the Button) *then there is
absolutely nothing publishers and the publishing lobby can do to stop all
the dominoes from falling* -- all the way from universal OA to the phasing
out of everything except peer review to the conversion to Fair Gold with
all the re-use rights the open data people are seeking.

And that's not "destroying the entire peer-reviewed research journal
publication system" but updating it to what is possible today, but
prevented by the publishers' strangle-hold on the obsolete status quo.

Harnad, S (2014) The only way to make inflated journal subscriptions
unsustainable: Mandate Green Open Access
<http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2014/04/28/inflated-subscriptions-unsustainable-harnad/>
. *LSE Impact of Social Sciences Blog **4/28 *

 SH