Highlights

Elsevier is now the world’s largest OA publisher with 511 fully open access
titles (De Gruyter second at 435, Hindawi third at 405). These figures are
drawn from the publishers’ websites.

315 of the 511 journals (63%) have an APC of 0 and an indication of “fee not
payable by author”. This is primarily due to substantial active society and
institutional involvement and sponsorship of these journals. A large percentage
of these societies are keeping their copyright. I argue that this is not a bad
thing; the alternative may not be a purer OA but rather Elsevier copyright
retention.

There are marked differences between Elsevier’s fully OA journals and their
2,149 hybrid journals. The OA journals tend to be clustered near the low end of
the $0 - $5,000 APC range while the hybrids are skewed toward the high end.
Society and institutional involvement and copyright retention is far more
evident in the open access journals.

Using data from Elsevier’s website and 2015 annual report, I assess the
potential for Elsevier to achieve a full flip to OA while retaining the current
$3 billion USD in revenue and 37% profit rate. By my calculations, Elsevier
would need to charge APCs averaging from $5,000 to $11,000 USD. This is not
realistic. Libraries and those seeking to further transition to open access
should (in my opinion) expect that Elsevier will continue to seek substantial
subscriptions revenue for some time to come, even given substantial support for
APCs.

For more detail and a link to a draft article on the topic, see:
https://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2016/05/13/elsevier-now-the-worlds-largest-open-access-publisher/

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison