Dear Heather,

It is good to see that pricing of OA publishers is closely monitored and
observed. In our case, however, your accusations are incorrect. We have not
doubled or even tripled the article processing charges as you have stated in
your email and your blog post.

To understand the changes in our pricing, it is essential to understand our
publishing model: Copernicus Publications publishes two types of journals:
Let’s focus on the 18 of the 38 journals we publish that apply Interactive
Public Peer Review as those are the ones that had their prices changed.

Interactive Public Peer Review is a two-stage publication process that involves
the publication of the author’s manuscript as a discussion paper in an online
and open-access discussion forum. The referee reports as well as additional
comments are published there in addition to part of the peer-review process
(http://publications.copernicus.org/services/public_peer_review.html).

From 2001 to2015 we typeset these discussion papers and the article processing
charges (APCs) were based on this “first” publication, not on the final revised
paper. In January 2016, we changed the publication and accounting process for
all journals applying Interactive Public Peer Review. There were two main
reasons for this. On the one hand, we do not typeset the discussion papers
anymore. This should help to make clear that the discussion papers are rather
preprints and not the versions of record. On the other hand, the practice of
charging for the discussion papers was especially difficult for funders since
they usually only fund final papers (accepted after the completion of the
peer-review process). Thereby, the APCs have to be paid once the final revised
paper is published.

Regarding the article processing charges, the old discussion-paper style
resulted in three times more pages than the classic manuscript style, and
tables and figures were counted as extra pages (due to the discussion-paper
format) when calculating the total cost of publishing a paper. Here is an
example of this former model:

A manuscript contains 10 pages with 57,000 characters, 2 figures, and 1 table.
The discussion paper will have 30 pages text + 1 page table + 2 pages figures.
For Category 2, this will result in 33 pages × €25 = €825 net + 19% German VAT.

In the new model, the APCs were adjusted to account for the fact that they are
based on the final article page rather than on the discussion paper page. The
overall costs of publishing a paper have essentially remained the same because
there are three times fewer pages in a paper in classic manuscript style than
in one in discussion-paper style. Here is the example above in the new payment
model:

A manuscript contains 10 pages with 57,000 characters, and an additional page
with 2 figures and 1 table. For Category 2, this will result in approx. 11
pages final revised paper × €75 = €825 net + 19% German VAT.

These changes are clearly and transparently stated on our websites (thank you
for linking to them) and were explained to authors, editors, and referees in
press releases and community mailings.

Thus saying that our prices have increased by 200% is blatantly incorrect. It
compares apples to oranges.

For further clarification, 24 of our journals have APCs. All these journals are
owned by learned societies or scientific institutions. For seven journals APCs
are waived by the owners of these journals. For some journals there are no
intentions to introduce APCs; for others the owners are planning to implement
fees in the future. If fees are introduced, this usually happens in two steps.
Three journals are financed via conferences. For three journals Copernicus
waives the fees. In addition, we have four journals on our website which either
ceased publication or were transferred to another publisher.

Openness and transparency is very important to us and we know that we do things
differently than other publishers. If you have any questions on our pricing
scheme or on any other aspect of our work, we are happy to answer them.

Best regards,

Xenia

Copernicus.org
Meetings & Open Access Publications

Dr. Xenia van Edig
Business Development

Copernicus GmbH
Bahnhofsallee 1e
37081 Göttingen
Germany

Phone: +49 551 90 03 39 18
Fax: +49 551 90 03 39 90 18

http://www.copernicus.org
@copernicus_org
Copernicus Gesellschaft mbH
USt-IdNr.: DE216566440
Based in Göttingen, Germany
Registered in HRB 131 298
County Court Göttingen
Managing Director Thies Martin Rasmussen