Thanks Richard - this brings together many of the major problems, issues and
cases on this topic. I encourage everyone to read it, comment on it and begin
building from this understanding of the complexity of copyright.

As Fair Use / Fair Dealing week is wrapping up, I would like to take this
opportunity to argue that open access scholarship requires strong fair use /
fair dealing, not only for open access works but for all types of works. As a
researcher, I make my own work open access but I also need to draw from works
with a variety of copyright statuses including All Rights Reserved, and
sometimes scholars and journalists need to work with material that the creators
did not intend to publish at all. When we work with these kinds of materials,
we need to be able to point to the originals, sometimes in whole and sometimes
by copying portions. Even if ubiquitous open licensing were possible for
scholarly works were possible, this would not address non-scholarly materials
with which we conduct research. For this, we need fair use / fair dealing.

When I re-use portions of works that are clearly not intended for broad-based
blanket downstream re-use rights, I cannot release these portions of my work
under open licenses. If I am subject to overly strong open licensing
requirements, this is a disincentive to conduct many types of research.

Fair use / fair dealing cannot be taken for granted. These rights are
recognized by some countries (fair use in the US, fair dealing in the UK and
Canada), but are not as widespread as copyright. These rights are often
contested in courts and a subject of discussion in developing laws and treaties
touching on copyright.

I argue that fair use / fair dealing is essential for open scholarship and that
working cooperatively with advocacy efforts for fair use / fair dealing is in
the best interests of open scholarship. In Canada we currently have a good
copyright law with respect to user's rights. This is up for review later this
year. It is wise to assume that those who wish to profit from IP are already
lobbying to weaken or eliminate user rights, both through our national
copyright law and in international treaty discussions. Advocacy in the
interests of readers and creators who need content to build on will be
necessary.

Individual readers are largely invisible when it comes to policy discussions on
copyright. For this reason, librarians and library associations (such as IFLA)
have been the major champion of user's rights, speaking out for all of the
readers served by the profession.

The ARL fair use / fair dealing website is available here:
http://fairuseweek.org/

Some libraries may be planning events at a later date. For example, at the
University of Ottawa it is currently study week, so our library is having
workshops next week.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison
Assistant Professor

On 2017-02-22, at 3:17 AM, Richard Poynder