This list is out of date, but note that the Open Access Directory has a list of
courses about OA:
http://oad.simmons.edu/oadwiki/Courses_about_OA

I developed and taught courses on scholarly communication and open access for
the UBC i-school in 2007 and wrote a published a textbook for the scholarly
communication class, Scholarly Communication for Librarians. I have never used
this as a textbook and do not currently recommend it because it is too
expensive, out of date, and is currently owned by Elsevier, a company that I am
boycotting. I mention this merely as one example that this is not new, this was
a decade ago.

Currently I am a recently tenured professor in the University of Ottawa's
bilingual (French / English) Information Studies program. Open access and
related topics are pervasive in our curriculum. Because we are a capital city
in a country with a strong commitment to open government and open government
data (policy is open by default), this is particularly prominent. When I teach
the course "the publishing business: transformations and opportunities",
students learn by creating and publishing a peer-reviewed journal issue as part
of the course, using OJS.  I am pretty sure other professors are doing this
too. This winter I taught a special topics course dedicated to open access.
Because this is my research area, there are opportunities for graduate level
research in this area, whether thesis-track (inquiries are welcome), or as
research assistants.

In North America the trend for some time has been towards more general
information studies programs that include librarianship rather than
library-specific programs. As an illustration of how this is relevant, we teach
emerging professionals leadership and strategic planning skills, so that they
will be prepared to take on change management roles not just on graduation but
years after. We teach marketing skills that can be used in many environments
rather than how to market the programs that are today's priorities.

Many of the organizations that used to be separate are converging. The
separation of government information professionals into librarians and
information managers just doesn't make as much sense as it did a while ago.
When records are born in electronic format this tends to change archival
practice from dealing with material post-publication to planning for both use
and retention at the document creation stage. If a department is managing all
its records electronically until sent for preservation, both institutional
records and publications are electronic documents and so may be handled by the
same people, subject to overlapping policies, and possibly stored on the same
servers: hence convergence.

Employers work with us cooperatively to engage students in the practical
aspects of professional work, as well as in ongoing discussions to help us
shape the curriculum. Most of our full-time professors have significant
professional experience as well as academic qualifications, and many of our
adjuncts are full-time working professionals. At the University of Ottawa, many
of our students spend 4 - 8 months in the field as part of their program. This
is quite common in information studies programs, at least in North America.

Perhaps some of these approaches and ideas could be helpful to those wishing to
advance professional education in other areas.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison
Associate Professor

On 2017-08-15, at 3:16 AM, Dr D.A. Kingsley