Highlights of a recent brief research analysis that may be of interest:

71% of journals listed in DOAJ DO NOT charge APCs*. DOAJ staff have verified
the vast majority of these journals, so I think we can be quite confident of
this number
28% of journals listed in DOAJ do have APCs; a few have no information on this
point

Of the journals listed with APCs, there are 37 different currencies listed.
However, a few dominate, particularly USD which accounts for nearly half of the
total; USD, EUR and GBP account for 80% of the total.

The average and range of APC by currency are listed in the blogpost. The most
remarkable finding is a very wide range of pricing by currency. This tends to
support the conclusion of our 2014 study of a volatile market for APCs.

Strengths of DOAJ with respect to the APC question: identifying which journals
charge and which do not; URL for further information. One limitation of DOAJ
data is that it necessarily simplifies a variety of complex models. Many
journals with APCs do not charge a flat per-article rate. Another is that it is
not clear when and/or how often this data is updated. If accurate information
on the amount of an APC is needed, I recommend following the URL for further
information on this point.

Details (method, results, limitations) are posted on the Sustaining the
Knowledge Commons blog:
https://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2018/02/06/doaj-apc-information-as-of-jan-31-2018/

* Emphasis added as OA and APC are often conflated, to avoid adding to the
problem.

As an example of open research it might be worth noting that by publishing as
soon as the analysis was complete on my blog rather than retaining the
knowledge for peer-reviewed, I am able to share this information within 6
calendar days of release of the data that is being analyzed. If I or others
find errors later on, the blogpost will be updated, noting the correction and
retaining the original information in case anyone has cited on relied on it.

Disclaimer: my study of APCs does not imply endorsement of the method.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison
Associate Professor | Professeure agrégé