Hi all,

I'll discuss here two major issues discussed in this thread: the freedom (1) in
the choice of journals in which to publish and (2) in the choice of a user
licence when publishing.

I don't think it's very useful to discuss these issues on the basis of what
exactly does - or don't - cover the notion of academic freedom. I concur here
with Ã…kerlind & Kayrooz (2003; doi:10.1080/0729436032000145176, paywalled) that
"there is substantial variation in views as to the meaning of academic freedom.
[...] In public debate [...] this kind of variation in meanings and definitions
can lead to debate at cross purposes".

We should rather focus on the higher goals academic freedom is supposed to
achieve, one of which being permitting, or helping academics "to undertake
research to create new knowledge, freely disseminated to their students and the
wider academic community" (Karran and Mallinson, 2017;
http://eprints.lincoln.ac.uk/26811). I would add that academic freedom should
ensure that these activities (research and its dissemination) be done in the
interests of both the scientific community and the society. In other words, as
we often hear about open science, "science done right".

So, instead of trying to determine (or convince others) that a given policy is
unacceptable because it is at odds with academic freedom, according to some
non-consensual definition, I prefer to ask "Does this policy help or hinder the
creation and dissemination of knew knowledge, in the interests of the
scientific community and the public?".

Now, as to the two issues mentioned above.

Choice of journals. - A policy restricting the number of journals suitable for
publication could, theoretically at least, bar some researchers altogether from
publishing in journals, for instance if they have chosen unpopular subjects or
methods that, though they are legitimate, few journals will consider. But I
haven't heard of such a problem. What may occur, though, is that they couldn't
publish in some journals - possibly well-rated ones (normally meaning a high
impact factor). However, as you're certainly aware, there is an ongoing
discussion about this so-called "prestige economy", which seems to many an
impediment to "good science". What is at stake here seems more the interest of
the researcher, who is subject to a flawed evaluation system. Invoking academic
freedom as an argument that, in fact, helps maintaining this system doesn't
seem appropriate to me.

Choice of license. - More generally, it's about the way one deals with
copyright when publishing. It's true that mandates and policies may force
researchers to let go of the control over their works they have been getting
back lately - remember that they have for a long time willingly, or without
giving it a thought, abandoned this control to publishers. Again, one should
consider how total control by researchers - who are most often employees of
publicly funded institutions - of the use of works resulting mostly from
publicly funded research fares with the interests of the scientific community
and the public. What I prefer to discuss is not, for instance, how CC BY makes
a researcher uncomfortable, but what are its pros and cons from a more general
perspective. There are arguments from both perspectives in this thread, and I
do think there are significant issues to clarify concerning the risks, from a
collective perspective, associated to the use of CC BY licenses (personally, I
think the advantages far exceed those risks, even for individual researchers).

In brief, I understand very well why researchers don't like constraints, but
using academic freedom as an argument to support individual decisions or,
indirectly, whole systems that may conflict with collective interests can just
devaluate this important concept.

Marc Couture