De : goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] De la part
de Donald Samulack - Editage
Envoyé : 30 juillet 2018 13:29
À : 'Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)'
Objet : Re: [GOAL] Predatory Publishing

Hi all,

One thing for everyone to begin to wrap their head around when it comes to
talking "researchers/authors" and "predatory publishers" is that not all
authors who submit to what people generally call predatory publishers are
duped into submitting. Recent articles by Moher's group in Ottawa shed light
on the fact that many western researchers (and others around the world) know
exactly what they are getting into, and why they are publishing in such a
journal... rapid pay-to-play publication, vanity publication, or the
specific seeding of pseudoscience for whatever reason.

Also, because of this, we need to begin to narrow our definition of what we
summarily call predatory publishing. Simply put, there are good publishers
and bad publishers. Many may justifiably be labelled as bad
publishers/journals, because they have poor editorial processes or limited
resources, but they should not be labelled as "predatory"... they are simply
not mature publishers/journals. Given the chance, and by following all good
publication practices, hopefully these publishers/journals eventually mature
and find their place in the scholarly literature.

In order to actually focus our attention where it matters -- on publication
ethics -- we must all start to agree that "predatory publishing" is a label
that is to be reserved for publishers who practice in deceptive, deceitful,
and/or fraudulent activities. Spam marketing with poorly written e-mails may
be a distasteful marketing practice, but it does not make a journal
predatory; unless there are fraudulent activities/claims involved in their
practices. (A whole other can of worms is unveiled when it comes to GDPR --
are some journal marketing and data collection practices now considered
illegal?)

We need to focus our attention so that we are not expending valuable time
and resources chasing bad journal marketing practices (call it out, maybe).
We need to be protecting authors by bringing attention to deceptive,
deceitful, and fraudulent publishing practices as the true predatory
practices.

Predatory is not a function of not having peer review -- it is a function of
claiming that you do (or making other false claims) when you don't.

Cheers,

Don

-----------------------------

Donald Samulack, PhD
President, U.S. Operations
Cactus Communications, Inc.
Editage, a division of Cactus Communications

E: donald.samul...@editage.com
T: +1 (267) 332-0051 ext. 104
C: +1 (732) 357-5282

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/samulack