# Don't just read the news...discuss it. Learn more about Goa via Goanet #
# Goanet was setup in 1994 and has spent the last decade building a      #
# lasting Goan non-profit, volunteer-driven network in cyberspace.       #
# Visit the archives http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/             #
# To join, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask to join Goanet.         #
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s      MAY 13, 2005   DATELINE: GOA

       /                                         d8   Founded in 1994
 e88~88e  e88~-_    /~~~8e  888-~88e  e88~~8e  _d88__ by Herman
 888 888 d888   i       88b 888  888 d888  88b  888   Carneiro
 "88_88" 8888   |  e88~-888 888  888 8888__888  888   ---------------
  /      Y888   ' C888  888 888  888 Y888    ,  888 http://www.goanet.org
 Cb       "88_-~   "88_-888 888  888  "88___/   "88_/
  Y8""8D

         Full details about Goanet are at http://www.goanet.org
         You can subscribe to the Goanet/GoanetDigest via that site.
        To unsubscribe from this list, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         If you find this ezine useful, please recommend it to your
friends and others from Goa. To sign-up http://newsfromgoa.swiki.net

http://www.goanet.org * http://www.goanet.org *  http://www.goanet.org

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

IN TODAY'S EZINE: What do you do if you're 30, Muslim and from an orthodox
family? Check out how Afroz Shaikh teaches women -- across religion and
other lines -- the art of self-defence. Two new CDs now make it to the
stands in Goa, including one that is guaranteed to evoke Lusostalgia.

        MS AFROZE SHAIKH (30), the youngest in an orthodox Muslim family,
        has formed self-help groups and teaches women the art of
        self-defence. The fighter she is, Shaikh has organised groups
        cutting across religious and other lines and changed the way people
        think about Muslims and women. She was awarded the expat Goa
        Sudharop -- http://www.goasudhorop.org -- award in 2003. (GT)

        FROM THE WORLD OF ACADEMIA: Ms Anita Raut Desai's PhD Viva Voce will
        be held in the Goa University's Department of Political Science on
        May 17, 2005 at 3 30 pm on the topic, 'Voices in the Liberation
        Struggle: The Case of Goa 1947-1961'. Her guide was Prof Peter R De
        Souza, says a press note from Dr Aureliano Fernandes. (Goanet)

        FOR RUI MADRE DEUS, general manager of Ronil Beach Resort, food is
        more than just a passion. It's more of a longstanding love affair
        for someone who learnt the finer nuances of cooking in his mother's
        kitchen, and who has spent years studying Goan food and chronicling
        its history, writes Reuven Proenca. Rui says: "A recipe is like
        a religion; it cannot be changed." (GT)

        ARAMBOL'S LAKE: There is little doubt that the little freshwater
        lake in Arambol, linked to the ocean as naturally as an egret on a
        buffaloes back, is a natural 'heritage monument', writes Vikram
        Sundarji. (GT)

        MELODIOUS SOUNDS: Two new CDs -- one video, one audio -- have been
        released. VCD Saudades is a collection of favourite Portuguese songs
        (singers include Dr Francisco Colaco, Jose Velho Pereira, Fausto
        Collaco, Zezito, Fernanda, Elaine, Anabelle, Daniella, Gina and
        Giselle Colaco and Elaine da Cruz). Goa Goes Instrumental features
        Andy Norman of London on the Trumpet. An Augustinho Da Cruz
        production.

        PURPLE RAIN, the Goan pop and Rock band, has released their maiden
        album at Merces, exactly 20 years after the group was formed. This
        band consists of Acacio Tavares, Frankey Fernandes, Marcelino
        Fernandes, Edwin Rodrigues and Emman Dias. (H)

        FEAST OF THE BAMBOLIM Fulancho Khuris (cross) will be on
        Sunday, May 15. Masses at 6.30, 9 am (feast mass) and 5 pm.

        COMUNIDADE OF PARRA and residents of Parra, Assagao and Anjuna have
        all opposed the proposal of the Parra panchayat to acquire 5000 sq
        metres of land in Arradi, Parra for the dumping of garbage. (H) See
        the voting on environmental issues in Goa http://www.goanet.org

o In the 2004-05 tourism season, some 713 charter flights landed in
  Goa, up by 30 percent from the previous year. Charters came in
  from the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, the Benelux countries,
  Hungary and Russia (including St Petersburg). Compared to 24 flights
  a week in 2003-04, there were 32 per week, prominent players in
  the tourism circuit were quoted saying. (GT)
o Power workers to strike May 31, June 1 to protest privatisation. (H)
o Government terminates 27 Goa Electronics Limited contract workers.(GT)
o Two sustain major injuries in oxygen cylinder blast at Curtorim. (H)

Politics, and nothing else!
---------------------------

o Young cinematographer and member of the Sangh (RSS) cadre
  Sharmad Trivikram Raiturkar (29) is the BJP's candidate for Margao.
  He will take on real estate developer and Congress' Digambar Kamat.
o Congress flays BJP for fielding 'RSS candidate' in Margao. (H)
o Zuwarkar opts out of the election fray; Taleigao seat. (Herald)
o Stop tirade against Governor Jamir, Shantaram Naik (CongI) warns
  ex-CM of the BJP Manohar Parrikar. (GT)
o BJP, in power for 4 years, continues to struggle to find good and
  winnable candidates for the June 2 bye-elections. (GT)
o BJP-turned-Congress candidate Atanasio "Babush" Monserrate has
  listed his assets as totalling Rs 200 million (Rs 20 crore)! (GT)
o Posh cars, luxury suites await poll observers. (H)
o Following Socorro, nearby Penha da Franca is likely to have a new
  sarpanch.  Six panchayat member have served a no-confidence motion
  against sarpanch Narendra Gaonkar, who joined the BJP just 6 months
  ago.(H)
o Congress vows to build Chorao bridge in return for votes. (H)
o BJP yet to decide on Benaulim candidate. (H)
o Parties defacing property will have to pay for clean-up. (H)
o Nirmala's exit won't impact Madkaikar, says Margaret Alva. (NT)[6~

        CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS? Taleigao candidate Atanasio Monserrate
        (Congress) has listed among his assets and liabilities a loan from
        his wife of almost Rs 40 lakh, sixteen Kinetic scooters, three other
        two-veheelers, 10 four-wheelers, ten commercial shops at the Kamat
        Mansion, and six flats at the Kamat Mansion!

DEATHS & OBITUARIES

BAINA-VASCO: Maria Grixella Filomena Costa e Ambekar b 1929. Wife of late
Ramnath Ambekar, mother of late Vijay. Expired at Our Home, Bogmalo.

BATIM/CANSAULIM/LISBOA: Lucio de Menezes, son of late Francisco Jose de
Menezes and late Elisa Pereira de Andrade, brother/in-law of late
Raul/Gilda, Fernando/late Marina, late Fr Celso SJ, Helia, Fr Rui sj, late
Eurico/Fatima, Dores/Mario de Ataide expired suddenly in New York on May 11.
Funeral will take place in Lisbon. Mass held at St Thomas Church, Cansaulim
on May 14 at 5.30 pm.

BENAULIM: Apolinario (Napoleao) Rato b 1937. Of Pedda Grande. Husband of
Analia, father of Thomas, Joaquim, Remedios, late Joao Santan, Marikina,
Franskina, Luiza.

CALATA-CARBUTA: Antonio Simplicio Alvares, b 1929. Husband of Exaltacao,
father/in-law of Adolfo/Rosy, Xavier/Luiza, Joaquim/Sofia, Anthony/Jacina,
Agnelo/Santy, Roque/Belmira.

ST INEZ: Dr Vasant Shanker Revankar, ex medical officer. Husband of Nalini,
father/in-law of Lt Col (Dr) Nitin/Nilima, Dr Priti/Lt Col (Dr Parag
Prabhudesai, Dr Shubhangi/Santosh Lotliker, Dr Shanker. Age 76. No
condolence visits please.

VERNA-SHARJAH: Maria Natalina Rodrigues e Ferreira of Dignem, wife of late
Joaquim Ferreira, mother/in-law of late Clothilda, Cassilda/Cyriac, late
Angela, late Joe/Lorna, and Hedwig/Valero (Valley). Expired in Sharjah and
interred on May 11.

        CONDOLENCES over the death of Niobe Fernandes. Heartfelt
        sympathies to Antonio Fernandes of Gaum Bhau, Navelim,
        from her grief-stricken colleagues on board M/v New
        Mlamenbo Elysian Cruise Lines.

GOA SPORTS

o Sporting Clube de Goa's most prized possession, the
  Nigerian player Dudo Omagbhemi, is to attend trials in the US. (H)
o East Bengal is said to be targetting three Goan players --
  Clifford Miranda (Dempo Sports Club), Joseph Pereira (Sporting
  Clube de Goa), and John Dias (Salgaocars). H
o Goa Yachting Association Team 1, Royal Bombay, and the two
  Sea Cadet teams went through to the semis of the Optimist team
  racing sailing championships held at Hawaii Beach, Dona Paula. (H)

        Salcete Football Club and Fransa-Pax reached the semis
        of the Air-India under-14. Salcete beat Goa United
        Sports Academy, Calangute narrowly 4-3 while Fransa
        thrashed Dempo 12-0. (H)

o Mix Friends Sta Cruz surprised favourites St Michael of Goa
  Velha 5-4 via the tie-breaker to emerge champions in the GIC
  Housing Finance tournament at Sta Cruz. (H)

o Nerul SC had to wait till the tie-breaker to book their place
  in the finals of the 12th Arpora Sporting Soccer, winning 6-5
  over FC Siolim. (H)

o AA de Moira scored a 2-1 win over Saligao United in the inaugural
  match of the Palyekar Soccer at Siolim grounds. (H)

o Candolim SC won 2-0 over Holiday Club, Arpora to move into
  the quarters of the Calangute Panchayat Cup at the new
  Poriat Grounds, recently launched. (H)

o Arpora SC narrowly won 5-4 via the tie-breaker over Anjuna Gymkhana
  to sail into the semis of the Jaidev Kanekar Soccer at Sanquelim. (H)

CULINARY CORNER * Specially from Daisy Rodrigues in California

        Today we will be visiting Vietnam.  Vietnamese cuisine is a mixture
        of Chinese, French and a little Thai influence. It is probably one
        of the best cuisines in Asia. The basic ingredients of Vietnamese
        cuisine are rice and the famous fish-sauce "nouc mam".

Vietnamese Fried Rice --  a very simple rice dish that uses very few
ingredients.

4 cups cooked white rice
4 strips of bacon
5 spring or green onions -- chopped into thin rings
2 eggs beaten lightly
1 onion- chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce or 1 tablespoon of fish sauce (if available)
2 tablespoons of shredded coconut

Fry bacon in a non-stick pan.  Throw out the bacon fat.  Add a little
vegetable oil and onions, green onions.  Saute until onions are translucent,
add eggs and scramble until cooked, then add rice, coconut, salt & pepper
and mix everything well.  Sprinkle some soy sauce on top. Mix lightly.

WEATHER, ETC IN GOA

It's warm and humid at this time of the year in Goa. Official temperatures,
which only focus on the temperature, don't tell the whole picture. Max
temperature is shown at 33.7 and min at 23.5 deg C. Humidity is 76% by day
and 70% by night.

We need your help to promote Goanet, a volunteer-driven network:
||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 Creative Commons http://www.creativecommons.org
You may reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch. Send in updates.