Goanet News Bytes
Summaries
Jan 4, 2006
-----------------

1133 DSSS claimants are fake: Goa's Department
of Social Welfare has found that 1133 beneficiaries
of the Dayanand Social Security Scheme (DSSS) have been
non-genuine. This was revealed in a survey conducted by the
department through the Goa Electronics Ltd (GEL), following
observations made in the Comptroller and Auditor General of
India (CAG) report, Santano Fernandes, assistant director of
the Department of Social Welfare, disclosed. (Herald)

Ski-boat runs over tourist at Calangute: For M Kantharaj
from Karnataka, who was in Goa with his family celebrating
New Year, everything was going on fine until Tuesday
evening, when a ski-boat ran over him while he was
swimming on the Calangute beach. Kantharaj, a film
producer, suffered severe bruises on his back and
injuries to his head. He was brought to the Vintage
Hospital in St Inez, bleeding profusely and was taken
to the ICU, where he received 22 stitches on his head.(H)

o Kamat speaks of 'high tension' poer plans. (H)
o 300 staff to be recruited for Elect Dept on contract basis.(H)
o Police in Goa fail to keep pace with traffic. (H)
o Majorda sarpanch, Anton Pobres Fdes, survives no-trust vote.H
o Chinchinim citizens call for reducing phone rentals. (H)
o AITUC defers strike plans, at Goa Antibiotics. (H)
o Extend school teachers' retirement age, says Congress. (H)
o Locals march to Cuncolim police station on Jose Fdes death.H
o Shape Goa's destiny, Jamir urges NRIs. (H)
o Govt will restore Lohia Maidan sanctity, assures Digambar. (H)
o 630 hawkers served notice on kerosene sale. (H)
o Suryanarayana posted as GTDC managing director. (H)
o Cable operators told to restore connection, consumer forum. (H)
o National cultural integration camp concludes at Ponda. (H)
o Busy day for Margao firemen, four fire calls. (H)
o Goa Konkani Akademi to reconstitute general assembly. (H)
o Tomazinho's Konkani tiatr enthralls worldwide Goans. (NT)
o Lack of staff in BDO affects development works in Bardez. (NT)
o Shortage of staff at Sada sub jail. (NT)
o GOACAN to organise consumer interaction meetings. (NT)
o Classical dance festival at Mardol, Jan 6-8. (NT)
o Passport Office observes National Consumer Week. (NT)
o Konkani writer Arun Singbal passes away. (NT)
o Gynaec pathology seminar at GMC. (NT)
o Refrain from politicising Saleli issue, GPCC members urge. (NT)
o Helmets saved many lives, say police. (GT)

BJP uses cash and kind to oust 'kashe' Rane: Goa's longest
serving 'khashe' Pratapsing Raoji Rane's 33-year-old
hegemony over Poriem constituency may crumble under the
weight of discontent and anger of villagers from Saleli and
neighbourhing areas. The BJP, sensing its biggest ever
opportunity to cash-in on the resentment, has planned
Operation Poriem in a scientific battle-like manner,
while a divided Congress was caught napping and
oscilating between confusion and silence. (GT)

BULLDOZER AND THE BIG BULL: Gomantak Times says its
snooping camer caught the bulldozer on the Dona Paula-
Miramar stretch clearing vegetation and trees, while Town
and Country Planning minister Babush Monserrate, wearing
darkmaroon shirt and black pant was seen as he
"supervises the operations". Second pic shows the
minister's car parked behind the bulldozer after
the 'operation clean-up' was over.

Complaints about your bank? Go to www.bankingombdsman.rbi.org.in

Saleli uprising has Sattari boiling. Hundreds demand
immediate release of villagers. 100 women proceed on
indefinite hunger strike. (H)

Churchill makes his presence felt: The beleaguered South
Goa MP Churchill Alemao, who was caught in a controversy
in a sting operation on the MPLAD scheme kickbacks,
made his presence felt at the office-bearers meet at the
Goa Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) at the Congress
House in Panjim. Congressmen were taken by surprise by the
MP's entry at the meeting, as his presence at party
meetings in Congress House has been virtually rare in the
last few months. (Herald)

DEATHS:

ALTO BETIM/PORVORIM, SIOLIM UGCC KUWAIT: Agnelo "Rino" Fdes b 1960
ASSOLNA: Geromina Natalina Cardozo of Passagem b 1924
CALANGUTE: Maria Apolonia De Souza [Rosy] of Khobravaddo b 1926
CALANGUTE: Antonio Crescencio de Souza, Gauravaddo b 1929
CAVELOSSIM: Ricardo Grigonn Rodrigues, b 1960
ISSORCIM-HOLLANT: Feliciana Rodrigues e Pereira b 1921
NUVEM: Joaquim M Colaco 'Jacklet' and Conceicao JM Colaco.Durga.
POMBURPA: Roque V Noronha, ex-foreman agri dept b 1947
SHIRODA: Pelegrin Antao, ex-deputy sarpanch of Shiroda.
TOLLECANTO: Ana Aurora 'Anarola' Dias of Battar.

GOA CUISINE FROM DAISY RODRIGUES:

Jambalaya - another rice dish   1 broiler chicken, cut up, about 3
pounds, paprika, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 cup chopped onion, 1 cup
chopped green bell pepper, 2 ribs celery, chopped, 2 cloves garlic,
minced, 1/2 pound smoked sausage, thinly sliced, 2 cans (14.5 ounces
each) stewed tomatoes, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 cup long-grain rice, 2
teaspoons leaf thyme, crumbled, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste, 1/4
teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco), 1 pound
shrimp, shelled and deveined   Wash chicken and pat dry; rub with the
paprika. Heat olive oil in a large skillet; add chicken and brown on
all sides. Remove chicken from skillet. Add onion, green bell pepper,
celery, and garlic. Sauté over low heat until onion is tender, about 10
minutes.

Stir in sausage, tomatoes, chicken broth, rice, thyme, salt, pepper,
and hot sauce. Add chicken and turn to coat with sauce. Bring to a
boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken
is tender. Stir in shrimp and cook about 3 minutes longer, or just
until shrimp turns pink.  Jambalaya recipe serves 6.

  ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 Creative Commons http://www.creativecommons.org
You may reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.
To stop receiving these messages contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Feel free to recommend Goanet News Bytes to friends, relatives.

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch. Send updates.

|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
| Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Take back & distribute Soccer Balls |