on national television, a few
days ago. On Thursday night a
freelance journalist went
undercover for a party held in
Sangolda, and came back with
this story which shows that the
Home Minister is oblivious to
what is happening in the State.

BEING a non-party animal, those at the entrance to the
open-party club must have seen right through me as I was
initially prevented from entering the Russian Christmas party.

A freelance journalist, I reached the venue along with my
other media colleagues at 10pm only to see the Anti Narcotics
Cell (ANC) officials in civil clothes and police personnel in
khaki.

When I inquired, the men in khaki mentioned that they were
present to check the sound level of the music being played
inside the club.

Us journalists detached ourselves from each other and
proceeded to enter the club.

          The revelry was yet to begin and in the meantime,
          the tickets were being sold at Rs 1200 per couple.
          Unfortunately, after seeing a group of
          camerapersons, some people got suspicious and we
          heard of plans to cancel and even postpone the
          party to 2 am.

"I don't think the party will move on," we heard one
taxi-diver tell another in the spacious parking lot.

The scene outside grew pale as the news of the presence of
camerapersons spread. Interestingly we were being trailed by
atleast two unknown persons wherever we went.

Finally, one of the locals came on record to say that if the
media had come to detect drugs availability at the party,
they were indeed mistaken. The local man claimed that the
allegation of freely available drugs was totally baseless.

When we pressed to enter into the club, the organisers had no
choice but to let us in to witness the party. We were
escorted straight to the enclosed dance floor.

          But we weren't satisfied with the dance floor and
          wanted to tour the entire place. So we walked
          outside and saw the party poopers, mostly
          foreigners smoking and boozing while another corner
          had petty vegetarian and non-vegetarian stalls
          erected to serve their customers.

Then, two journalists -- one of whom had a small video camera
-- saw two foreigners inhaling something that was in white
powder form, cut into lines on a wooden strip in a small
lawn. It was a scene straight from a movie.

But by the time the ANC cops could be located, they had
already finished with the powder and vanished. So, we walked
to another part of the club only to see the dealing of drugs
taking place clandestinely. A man, perhaps a local was
selling a packet of drugs to foreigners and we, in the dim
light around the venue managed to see him accepting a few
money notes

We then proceeded to the terrace of the club where around
10-14 tables were placed for its customers with hookahs or
shishas on each table. When one of the journalists tried to
click a picture with his mobile phone, a bouncer immediately
stopped the journo, citing that it disturbed the customers
and it was against the club's orders to take pictures. Very
convenient!

Amusingly, the party had the notice 'no drugs' glued to every
corner of the club but the activities taking place were
obviously contrary to the sign.

Amidst this, ANC sleuths nabbed a couple of guys, suspecting
drugs built failed to find any, which would mean that they
caught the wrong guys.

The raid team with one female officer could not detect the
drugs consumption inspite of being trained to do so.

Foreigners licking cigarettes and sniffing powder were not a
rare sight at the party. "We are identifiable by the people
here -- they know us -- that is why they hide the drugs
whenever we search them," defended a field officer also
present at the party.

          What was most appalling was that the police jeeps
          parked in the parking lot with police officers were
          also helpless in cracking the game. When a journo
          informed the officer about the happenings in the
          club, he confirmed to send his men but in vain.

Being hounded

While the party was yet to begin, a man in his 40s approached
my friend and I, inviting one of us to join him as his
partner. He introduced himself as a party freak and a native
of Delhi. He mentioned that he was staying in Goa for over
four months and running a private business.

We told him we were waiting for our respective boyfriends but
the man insisted we join him if they didn't turn up. The
middle-aged man even agreed to pay my entrance fee.

"While you wait for your boyfriends, why don't you enter with
me and have a few drinks," he suggested. "Whisky or beer?" he
questioned.

"I prefer breezer," I replied.

When my friend said, "Damn it man, no drugs," the man who
knew what he was talking about quickly replied, "Andar milega
(it's available inside)."

We escaped from the spot and entered the venue with our
friends. The lonely man disappeared and was not to be seen
till the end of the party.

          Finally, when we were exiting the club at around
          1:15 am we encountered a physically restless
          foreigner zooming all around in the parking area.
          "He's high on LSD and it's choked in his chest," we
          heard someone whisper from behind. The young man
          couldn't control himself and hit poles and bikes
          parked there. Until we left the place at 1:30am, he
          had not been taken to the hospital.

Upto this time, we were still being followed by persons who
returned to the party no sooner we got into our vehicles to
leave.

Courtesy: Gomantak Times