QUO VADIS AAP: JUST WHAT THE HELL IS THE TOP LEADERSHIP SMOKING?

Dr Oscar Rebello
campalhealthservi...@gmail.com
docosca...@rediffmail.com

My dear Team AK / Team YY-PB:

          Permit me to introduce myself. I am an ordinary AAP
          volunteer from the state of Goa.  I haven't quit my
          job as yet to dive headlong into the world of
          politics, but many of my friends have.  Cheerfully
          (and often despondently), they are building the
          organization in the state, brick by brick: step by
          step and heartbreak by heartbreak.

Presumptuously, I have taken it upon myself to speak for them.

And the one overwhelming  question that is driving a dagger
in our hearts, at the moment, is this: "Just what the hell is
the top AAP leadership in Delhi smoking?"

Why has it induced this inexplicable crash after that dizzy
high of Delhi 2015?  Why this messy split in the marriage,
when the family is still young and the kids are still
learning to take their baby steps?

To understand this, let us first get some indisputable facts
on the table.

          FACT 1: There can be no question that Arvind
          Kejriwal (AK), despite his eccentricities, is our
          lodestar.  In Ashutosh's memorable words, our
          undisputed gladiator and hope.  Almost single
          handedly, he navigated our creaking, wooden boat to
          a resounding victory defeating the mighty flotillas
          of the BJP/Congress.  His sincerity, leadership and
          passion is simply unrivalled.

FACT 2. Yogendra Yadav(YY) and Prashant Bhushan (PB) are
easily, two of the most enlightened minds in the country.
Unyielding in their conviction of ideology, they are men of a
million ideas.  Many of these ideas may be outdated and
exasperating to the younger generation, but their integrity
and unbridled love for AAP can never be doubted.  And
certainly they can never be painted as some evil, conniving
Darth Vaders slyly walking around with a nuclear arsenal, out
to torpedo our Starship Enterprise to Utopia.  None of us buy
into this silly argument.  They were only asking relevant,
pertinent questions. If we cannot answer them, the least we
owe them is an explanation.

FACT 3: Delhi 2015 was like the magical elixir of life for
all of us. It reinforced our belief that the idea of AAP was
not just alive, but kicking and kicking real hard.
Reverentially (but not sycophantically) we must acknowledge
that the credit for this resurrection of AAP goes to AK.
Without him, we'd be buried for a long time, and if Delhi
2015 were not to happen, we'd probably enjoy the same
relevance as a vaudeville act in ISIS controlled Iraq and Syria.

But then, is Delhi 2015, our only goal post? Or are we aiming
to shoot faster, higher and stronger, in the near future?

Hence, if these are all undeniable facts, what then is the
genesis of this macabre display of the unbelievable absurd,
unfolding in Delhi, almost on a sickeningly daily basis?  The
answer to my mind lies in the proverbial, titanic clash
between the 'Theory' and the 'Practicals' of our politics.

The 'Theory' of our politics, that YY and PB are prepared to
defend to the death, consists of absolutely no compromise
with any candidate, with even a light shade of gray in their
character -- forget 50 shades.

But in this ruthless world of politics, is any elbow space
for maneouver permitted, to ensure victory at the hustings?
Is self righteousness the only antidote to corruption?  That
is the practical question.

Because, 'practical' (electoral) politics is a different,
unkind kettle of fish altogether.

Here, the art of negotiation and compromise is necessary. A
little bit of 'jugaad' here and there, so long as you don't
lose sight of the larger picture, which is transparent and
accountable politics -- the calling card of AAP.

          It would have been so much more prudent, if once in
          power, Team AK and Team YY would have expended
          their energies to set up and strengthen
          institutions to oversee honest governance in Delhi
          and they still have five years to do so.  This
          interminable slug fest is simply such a waste of time.

Fundamentally, Team AK and Team YY/PB have not been able to
reconcile these two issues.  They've been unable to blend the
'Theory' and 'Practicals' of our politics into a workable model.

Sadly, they have let their bruised egos and innate over-
sensitive natures ride over common sense and are needlessly
letting their hearts rule over their heads.  Is there a way
out of this impasse?  Someway, for this ghastly bloodletting
to stop?

Yes, there is.

          There is however only one man who can do this. AK
          himself, our gladiator and hope.  Despite his pain
          and anguish for being hauled over coals,
          repeatedly, he must summon the courage to unleash
          the most powerful weapon of a great leader -- the
          weapon of forgiveness.

He must be charitable in victory, get PB and YY back in
action on the PAC, must learn to listen without rancor and he
must turn the page to write a new chapter.

On the other hand, PB/YY must also summon the courage to
comprehend that 'bade bade deshon mein, aisi choti choti
batein hotein hai.' They must reboot and plot the next
navigational course of the ship.  Both teams have to
negotiate as friends and not as adversaries.

For AAP's sake, for the country's sake, for our sake and most
importantly for the sake of your own legacies, please, please
bury the hatchet guys or you'll end up axing the very roots
of a great, great idea you yourselves initiated.

Lots of love,
A distraught and foolishly hopeful volunteer

Oscar Rebello