Documented by Goa Desc Documentation Service
& circulated by Goa Civic & Consumer Action Network
(GOA CAN)<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

April 11, 2002

Shri Prakash Phadte,
Hon. Minister for Town & Country Planning
Chairman, Town & Country Planning Board
Chairman, Heritage Conservation Committee
Government of Goa

We, the undersigned are deeply distressed at the denotification
of the historic Provedoria building on 18th June Road, Panaji
vide Notification no. 40/9/2002/TCP/1219-4/4/02.
We are to understand that this building will be demolished
and replaced by a commercial high rise soon.

With this change from Institutional status to Commercial (C1),
the FAR of the building will now be increased from 60 to 200.
This will increase the pressure on infrastructure in the area,
cause increased congestion and create more traffic.
This is a decision that is hostile towards the city
and detrimental to its citizens.

The building is of architectural, social and cultural value
besides being a historic landmark in the area.
It is a fine example of Goan craftsmanship and is an excellent example
of the Indian Art Deco style of architecture. If your office demolishes the
building,
you will not only be destroying a heritage property
but also be destroying heritage intellectual property.

The shape and massing of the building lends itself to adaptive reuse.
A commercial use of the building can be made without demolition
and replacement by a high rise.

The building also enjoys a lynch-pin location and has three roads
on three sides lending it to maximum use. We are not against
the use of the building as a commercial complex, with food courts etc
in the existing courtyard but we feel that demolition and replacement
by a concrete block is not the most economical answer.

Kindly allow us to suggest alternatives
that are commercially viable and friendly towards the city.

GOA HERITAGE ACTION GROUP
29/30 Green Valley, Porvorim

INDIAN HERITAGE SOCIETY GOA CHAPTER
424, Fontainhas, Panaji

INDIAN NATIONAL TRUST FOR ART AND CULTURAL HERITAGE GOA
Casa de Miranda, Loutolim

PEOPLES' MOVEMENT FOR CIVIC ACTION
Panaji
For more information & to express your solidarity
email: "GOA HERITAGE ACTION GROUP "<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
Documentation + Education + Solidarity
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
Tel: 252660 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]