Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 17:05:12 +0530
From: Cecil Pinto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Goanet] Unofficial GoaNet FAQ - Initial draft

The Official Description of GoaNet says:

- ------------
GoaNet is a general forum for people interested in Goa to meet and talk
about Goa. You are welcome to post news articles, opinion, humor
(preferably if original or related to Goa), questions, etc, on this
list. It is by far, the most active Goa related list on the internet and
is recommended for everyone interested in learning about goa (eg. if you
are a tourist and would like a question answered) or simply a native
from Goa wanting to meet Goans from India and the rest of the world.
- ------------

This tells you precious zilch about GoaNet. I am in the process of
compiling an Unofficial FAQ about GoaNet that will serve as a guideline
for newcomers as well as to clarify common doubts.

Disclaimer:
This FAQ is not recognised by GoaNet owners or administrators and is
sure to have many errors before I get it right. Contributions,
corrections and suggestions most welcome.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS about GoaNet

- ------------

Question:
When was GoaNet founded?
Answer:
In 1996 five young Goan bachelors, all based abroad, founded GoaNet as a
means of meeting Goan girls. All five have since achieved that goal and
are happily married. GoaNet has since matured into a vibrant community
of 4,000 odd (soem very odd) subscribers. Fredrick Noronha still
maintains a link with the original objective of GoaNet through his
Cyber-Matrimonials.

Question:
Who were these five guys?
Answer:
Herman Carneiro, Marlon Menezes, Frederick Noronha, Ulysses Menezes &
Ariosto Coelho

Question:
How come on Yahoo Groups the number of subscribers is given as 157 only?
Answer:
GoaNet is 'remotely' hosted. That means the Yahoo number is not even
'remotely' close to the actual number of subscribers.

Question:
Can I use curse words in my postings?
Answer:
No. One of the founder members Herman Carneiro set a basic filter that
automatically blocks any mail that has curse words. There is a
work-around though, suggested to me by one of the administrators
(curiously named
Viviana) . Use an 'asterisk' she said. So basically a curse word like
'Aunt' would be written as 'asteriskunt'.  An illegitamate child would
be written as 'bastarasterisk'. And if you are referring to Richard in
slang you type 'Dicasterisk'. Gets a bit tedious but you will get used
to it.

Question:
Why is this filter in place when Yahoo already made me click in
acceptance, earlier, that I was entering an 'Adult Area'?
Answer:
Yahoo just does that to cover their asteriskrsehole. The only person who
can remove the filter is Herman Carneiro. He has not been spotted since
1999 and is rumored to be in the USA devising such filters for Net
Nanny.

Question:
What is a flame war?
Answer:
A flame war is when everyone attacks each other with fiery language for
an extended period of postings. Flame wars do occur on other forums -
not here. It is just hi-tech sounding jargon used by nerds who feel they
are being targetted - like Russel Crowe in The Gladiator.

Question:
What is a flame bait?
Answer:
The term Flame Bait was a rather 'risque' poem written by Khuswant
Singh. He was referring to Bill Clinton and the famous Monica Lewensky
cigar episode.

Flame Bait - a poem by Khushwant Singh
"Light the flame Monica
Use the cigar as a bait
And if someone comes
Just asteriskasturbate'

Since then people have been using the term 'flame bait' in totally wrong
contexts. I hope this will clarify matters.

Question:
Is GoaNet a commercial venture?
Answer:
No. GoaCom hosts GoaNet on their server and asks for nothing in return.

Question:
Are there any 'taboo' topics on GoaNet?
Answer:
Criticism of either Frederick Noronha or GoaCom is not taken lightly
here. They are both deservedly held in very high esteem and poking fun
at either is a definite No-No. Fred and GoaCom have worked hard to get
Goanet's subscriber base to what it is now so give them some respect.
Other than that it's pretty much a free space.

Question:
Who is Ven. Jose Naik Vaz?
Answer:
Fr. Jose Naik is the patron saint of GoaNet. That is why long and
complicated discussions are held about his saintly status.

Question:
Who is Santosh Helekar?
Answer:
Dr. Santosh Helekar practices Neurology in Texas, USA. He is also the
honorary President of the Independent Republic of Chimbel.

Question:
Who is Viviana Coelho?
Answer:
Viviana is a short, plump and ugly grandmotherly type woman. A first
generation immigrant to the USA she works as a dishwasher for a major
airline there.

Question:
Who is George Pinto?
George Pinto is based in the USA and send computers to Goan schools. At
the annual GoaNet meeting he can be easily identified as the guy wearing
a proper suit coat and sweating it out in the scorching heat.

Question:
Who is Joel D'Souza?
Answer:
Joel based in Assagao, Goa, reads all the newspapers everyday. He once
worked for Goa Today and now has his own Online Magazine GoaNow. Joel
can alwasy be identified in public because he has a digicam welded to
his hand.

Question:
Who is Goa Desc?
Answer:
Goa Desc is short form for Goa Description. They describe stuff in their
Friday Balcaos at Mapusa.

Question:
Who is Tariq Siddiqui ?
Answer:
Tariq Siddiqui is based in Dubai and is a henchman of Dawood. He is
planning to change his name to Cat Stevens and then give his old name
out on rent.

Question?:
Who is Sachin Naik?
Answer:
Sachin Naik is pure Nationalist. Even his blood is tri-colour.

Question:
Why are you compiling this FAQ?
Answer:
Saturday afternoon. Waiting for the wife to return from her mother's
home so we can proceed to Aldona for the weekend. Time on my hands.
Cheers!

- ---------
Errors, omissions, clarifications may kindly be brought to my notice.
- ---------

Greet your loved ones in Goa with flowers!

http://www.goa-world.net/expressions/

EXPRESSIONS - The Flower Shop
World famous all over Goa!

------------------------------

Cecil Pinto: "Question: Who is Viviana Coelho?
Answer: Viviana is a short, plump and ugly
grandmotherly type woman. A first generation immigrant
to the USA she works as a dishwasher for a major
airline there."

ES-C : Truthless, Tasteless and infinitely unfortunate
set of words from Cecil Pinto who has a strikingly
funny and creative bone in him.

Ema Souza-Colaco
TGF discussion list coordinator