Summer Course at NIO

The four day summer course for the first batch of the students who
responded to the newspaper announcement, will start at 10:30 a.m. from 23
April, 2002 at the National Institute of Oceanography (NIO), Dona Paula.

The course, which aims to create an awareness about the seas, flora & fauna and
sensitive ecosystem such as mangroves, includes lectures, film & slide shows and field
trips to a beach and mangrove area.  The students will be given an opportunity to work
in the laboratory to analyse the samples they have collected during these field trips
and prepare their observation reports.

It is hoped that such courses  will inculcate an appreciation of the interdisciplinary
nature of the ocean, says Dr. Ehrlich Desa, Director, NIO.  We have much to do in this
regard, and even though it is an extra demand on our colleagues' time, we shall be
putting an increasing thrust, if for no other reason than to interest bright young
students to the excitement of research in the ocean science.

The course for the second batch which also has about 50 students will commence from
April 30.  All the parents of the first batch have been informed  about the
arrangements, telephonically & by e-mail, says Mr. S.R. Bhat.  The encouraging
response from over 100 students has highlighted the need for such awareness programmes
on a regular basis, he said.