GOANS OVERSEAS: BUILDING BRIDGES FROM PORTUGAL... VIA CYBERSPACE

One generation after Portugal and its 451-year-old former colony Goa
suddenly snapped their ties, a new generation of expats based there are
finding that cyberspace is building bridges that cut across language,
political and geographical gaps.

Constantino Hermanns Xavier, 20, is of Goan-German origins and lives in
Portugal. His father's roots are in Verna, Salcete while his grand-mum still
lives in Fontainhas, Panjim. His mum comes from Dusseldorf, Germany. After
living in Germany and Brazil, the family has been 22 years in Lisbon, where
he lives with his brother Isabel (27) and Leonardo (18).

Says he: "My interests, besides everything related to Goa, are history,
sports (I played football in a district league for three years). I'm also
active with my student friends from university at the Centre for Studies in
Political Science and International Relations.

During a recent sojourn in Goa, he spoke about The Portuguese Political
System at the Goa University in February. Currently he studies his third
year of International Relations, at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa. "Future
plans are always open and changing," says he.

To understand how expat Goan communities have been using the Net, FREDERICK
NORONHA quizzed Xavier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. Excerpts:

How would you describe your current work as a 'online community builder' for
the Goan community in Portugal?

I'm part of a younger generation of Goans, who were already born outside
Goa, here in Portugal, or in some other country. These young people of Goan
origin are pretty much fully integrated in the Portuguese society, and have
access to Internet and other modern resources.

That's why, three years back, I started a website on Goa (that time it was
called vivaGoa). I am trying to link this generation upto today's Goa, so
they see this "place far away in India" still exists and is part of them and
their ancestors.

Besides this cultural and value oriented objective, I also try to pass on
the message that Goa maintains a huge potential they can explore: as a
holiday spot, as a business opportunity, as a historical place where they
can find their roots...and so on.

What's the size of the Goan community in Portugal? We hear widely varying
figures... what does your experience suggest?

The size of the Goan community in Portugal -- mainly centered in Lisbon and
surrounding areas, but also around Coimbra -- is very hard to estimate. Who
is a Goan? Do you count younger people like me in? On what criteria? I have
heard many figures: numbers are around 10,000 to 50,000.

The Goan community consists mainly of Catholics, but there have been always
some important Hindu families who are fully integrated into the Portuguese
society.

There are Goans from different origins and Goans who have arrived at
different historical periods: before 1961 we had for centuries a long
immigration trend coming from the old "Estado Portugues da India".

Goans would come (to Portugal) to continue their studies, to work in the
public administration, and so on. There are important goans who have
achieved great reputation here: Francisco Luis Gomes, Alfredo da Costa, (the
ophthalmologist) Gama Pinto and many more.

After 1961, following ... the end of Portuguese colonial power in India,
many Goans left for Portugal, for professional and academic purposes, for
political reasons (the Portuguese authorities encouraged thousands of Goans
to emigrate) and also for economical reasons, looking for a better life in
Europe.

Besides this, a third group of Goans arrived in Portugal after 1974, with
the end of the Portuguese colonial regimes in Africa, mainly from
Mozambique. These Goans had lived for many years in Africa, and still today
they remain a "community within the community", strongly attached to their
memories from the African continent.

As in all immigrant communities, there are strong differences between the
elder and the younger generations.

In the Goan community, these differences are even more striking. There is a
common religion and language with the Portuguese, sometimes even the same
educational and cultural values. This makes easier the integration into the
Portuguese society, especially for the younger generations, since they have
not lived in Goa and were brought up in Portugal.

Their friends are Portuguese and they are hardly conscious of their Asian
and Indo-Portuguese roots. Curiously, sometimes it's only their darker skin
tone that makes them remember that they are not exactly "100% Portuguese".
Besides that, they could be as Portuguese as our prime-minister!

There are hardly any relations with other communities hailing from India,
(due to socio-economic and religious-cultural differences). Mainly businessmen
hail from North India, especially from Gujarat. Although not as integrated
as Goans are, these Indian immigrants have a great community life centered at
their beautiful temple in Lisbon (Radhakrishna).

What is the state of Goan usage of the Net in Portugal? If not high enough,
what are the factors blocking it? We don't get much news from the Goan
community in Portugal back in Goa. Why is that?

Of course the language factor is very important in this aspect. Most other
major Goan communities around the world are based in English-speaking
countries: U.S.A, Canada, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia...

Besides, Portugal has not witnessed a very high integration into the
Internet. Slowly, people are getting used to it, and by now all companies
have their websites and the majority of Portuguese have their e-mail
address.

Since the Goan community associations are mainly composed by elder people,
the presence in the Internet has been very weak. Their children, although
familiarized with the Internet and new technologies, are not keen in keeping
up their links with Goa.

That's why we are assisting (to cope with) a "generation gap". There's a
whole Goan heritage, full of values and memories, which is not finding a
fertile ground in this younger generation. This ground will have to be
created and supported urgently, in case Goans want to preserve their
identity in Portugal.

What role do you see the Net playing for the Goan community in Portugal in
future?

My major goal, by starting Supergoa.com website on the Internet, was to
build up a link between Goa and the younger generation of Goans here in
Portugal.

It's obvious you will not gain their attention with traditional dances,
heritage festivals, formal "boring" meetings and so many other events that
don't attract younger people.

The Internet is surely a fast and modern possibility, highly attractive to
all younger people. That's why I started this website in order also to
represent this huge -- but sometimes silent -- community on the Internet.

Interestingly, many Goans were living -- and some are still living -- in
their own little world, based upon an image of Goa more than 40 years old.

This image of Goa -- for someone as me who has been regularly in Goa since
the 90's -- is totally out of date. By showing Goans in Portugal how "modern
Goa" looks like -- both in its positive and negative aspects -- supergoa.com
online community especially through the news section from Goa could play an
important role in renewing the image of Goa in many minds.

Tell us your own story, how did you get hooked onto the Net in the
first place?

It was through my fathers initiative, when I was 16.

At a time where the word Internet was still a "monster-word" in Portugal, he
got a connection and encouraged me to start a website on Goa. I started very
small: a table with facts and numbers on Goa!

Since then, as VivaGoa first, then as Supergoa.com. the website has been
growing gradually. Today there are more then 16,000 visitors monthly, from
all over he world.

The Supergoa.com discussion forum has witnessed many interesting
conversations between people from different countries and has even led to
the organization of the the first celebrations of World Goa Day, in
Portugal, in August of last summer.

Now we are already working with all other Goan associations in Portugal on
the 2nd Goa, Daman and Diu Day, which will be marked in Portugal, on the
16th, 17th and 20th of August.

What other interesting Goan initiatives have come up in Portugal via the
Net?

Slowly the Goan associations are entering cyber-space. The major Goan
association in Portugal -- Casa de Goa -- has it's website at
www.goacom.com/casa-de-goa.

The Associacao Recreativa e Cultural Indo-Portuguesa (ARCIP) is represented
at www.supergoa.com/arcip. They edit a very good magazine on Goa, called Voz
do Oriente (Voice from the Orient). There are other small Internet pages, by
Goans, but they are probably not updated regularly.

When you try to convince people about the utility of the Net for expat
communities, what is their response?

People are generally quite open towards the Internet. At the beginning it
was more difficult, since nobody knew what it was and what utility it had.

My major problem is to get sponsors and publicity for Supergoa.com, since I
have costs I have to cover monthly. I'm trying to contact restaurants,
institutions, foundations etc. in order to know if they are able to
advertise on Supergoa.com, and help finance it.

What motivates you in doing the work you do?

My love for Goa, for it's culture and unique identity.

Of course, my parents always helped me and encouraged me in my activities.
But don't ask me how it started; I am tempted to answer it's in me since I
was born. (ENDS)
--
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa * India 832.409490 / 409783
GOAPIX in.photos.yahoo.com/fredericknoronha * GOANEWS www.goacom.com/news/