Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:50:05 +0000
From: "Paulo Colaco Dias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Goanet] Re: TIMES: Balcony View

Hi Boogie,

Firstly, I don't think Goa is bilingual. And if it was, I am sure Portuguese
would not be the other language, would it ?
But then, maybe we just have to wait until Eddie writes back claiming "Rua"
or "Avenida" are commonly used by Konkani speakers and therefore are now
Konkani words.

Secondly, I think the most appropriated thing to do in a bilingual city
would be to put both names one after the other like:

Queen Elizabeth Drive
Promenade Queen Elizabeth

But I guess someone would then argue why is English first and French after
and so on. So, I guess Canadians have chosen the easiest solution ... It is
funny though ...

Regards,
Paulo.

>From: "Joseph Viegas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [Goanet] Re: TIMES: Balcony View
>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:27:04 -0400
>
>Paulo,
>In a bilingual city like Ottawa, the street names are generally
>marked in both official languages. Usually the English descriptor
>(Street, Avenue) is after the name, while the French one is before
>the name. For example:
>Hunt Club Road is displayed as Chemin Hunt Club Road
>Wellington Street displayed as Rue Wellington Street
>Queen Elizabeth Drive as Promenade Queen Elizabeth Drive
>
>Could the Panjim Municipality have the same idea?
>
>Boogie

------------------------------

"Joseph Viegas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on
Tuesday, April 23, 2002 11:27 PM
Subject: [Goanet] Re: TIMES: Balcony View

> Paulo,
> In a bilingual city like Ottawa, the street names are generally
> marked in both official languages. Usually the English descriptor
> (Street, Avenue) is after the name, while the French one is before
> the name. For example:
> Hunt Club Road is displayed as Chemin Hunt Club Road
> Wellington Street displayed as Rue Wellington Street
> Queen Elizabeth Drive as Promenade Queen Elizabeth Drive
>
> Could the Panjim Municipality have the same idea?
>
> Boogie

Formerly, at the entrance of the city of Mapusa (coming either from Panjim
or from Parra) there was an avenue called "Avenida Manuel Antonio de Sousa".
After the takeover of Goa by India the bust of M.A. de Sousa was replaced by
that of Mahatma Gandhi and the Mahatma's name was given to the avenue. The
nameplates (one at each end of the avenue) was bilingual, but in three
lines, thus:

Avenida
Mahatma Gandhi
Avenue

so that one could say it either way: "Avenida Mahatma Gandhi" or "Mahatma
Gandhi Avenue". I think this three-line nameplate (maybe even in three
different colours) might be an idea worth being considered by the municipal
councils of Goan cities and towns.

As regards what Paulo wrote earlier, worse than "Rua Abade Faria Road" is
the nameplate near the Holy Spirit Church of Margao: "Largo Padre Jose Vaz
Road". Note the discrepancy between "Largo" and "Road".

Jorge