Date: 26 Apr 2002 00:09:51 +0530
From: "victor hugo gomes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Goanet] GOA-MUSIC: It will be Purple Rain... in Chris Perry's honour

It will be Purple Rain... in Chris Perry's honour

If music has a purplish tinge to it and is as welcome as the rain
on  a hot summer's day, then the heralders of this  manifestation
are rightfully Purple Rain, one of Goa's top notch bands.

Purple Rain, who will perform live in concert at the Great  Music
Revival  2002  dedicated to Goan music king of  all  time,  Chris
Perry, this weekend at Nuvem, are down to serious  practicing for
the event.

Acacio Tavares, Purple Rain's rhythm guitarist  and vocalist says
the   band  is  fully  focused  into  putting  up   a   memorable
performance,  in  honour of the man  who  revolutionised  konkani
music introducing swing, thus giving it a different dimension.

He  complimented  Resonance,  the event  management  company  for
bringing together 265 musicians to perform live in honour of  the
legend.

Acacio  disclosed  that Purple Rain would perform two  of  Chris'
great  track Sorgarrajant Ase Re and Sacramento Zoddlo. The  band
would also perform their famous original composition - Bala  Bala
Music  -  that rose to become an instant among music  lovers  all
over.  He said it was good to notice that live music was back  on
the track.

The band was formed way back in 1985 by a group of talented young
friends  with the aim of providing good music to Goans all  over.
Today  they  have grown to be regarded as one of  the  top  dance
bands not only in Goa, but all over India and the Middle East.

The bans started initially as a pop-rock band with a hard  sound,
but has gradually mellowed over the years. However the early pop-
rock  influence is still visible in their music today. They  have
toured  extensively all over India performing from rock  concerts
to  gala  dances and were the pioneer band to open  up  the  Gulf
market for Goan bands when they performed for the New year  dance
in Dubai, way back in 1988.

The  band consist of Acacio Tavares (rhythm guitar  and  vocals),
Franky  Fernandes (lead guitar and vocals),  Marcelino  Fernandes
(keyboards),  Edwin Rodrigues (bass guitar and vocals) and  Emman
Dias (drums  and percussions).

Purple  Rain  besides being famous for its  original  composition
"Bala Bala Music" which is a favourite with the crowds, also have
to  their  credit  other original  compositions  like  Papa  Day,
Magicians Blues, Hello Lady and Sadam Hussain (Make It All Right)
which was composed during the Gulf War.

On  the  Indian  circuit  they  have  to  their  credit   several
performances  in Bombay, Cochin, Bangalore,  Hyderabad,  Manipal,
and  Mangalore.  They  have performed as  the  opening  band  for
concerts  of  the top Indian bands like Indus  Creed,  Shiva  and
Brahma. In Goa besides performing on various platforms, they  are
regulars  at the Food Festival and the Arlem and Kingfisher  beer
festivals.

Keeping  in mind the changing trends of music lovers,  they  have
lately ventured into indipop  and Hindi music for the benefit  of
the Indian audience.

The  three day Great Music Revival, 2002, is scheduled for  April
25, 26 and 27, at the Woodbourne Country Club, Nuvem.