AVF's post on an 'expat Goans voice' raises some interesting issues,
contains some views one can't agree with, and makes charges which one
would rather not get caught up in.

Some points for brainstorming:

* The view that large sections of the Press in Goa doesn't care much about
Goa is not a myth. But that has more to do with the urge to make quick
profits. If a new newspaper is set up, what guarantee is there that it
won't go down the same road?

* An advert blitz just might not really convince anyone.

* What are the low-cost options to build up a media-diversity in the years
to come? Do none really exist? Does one have to necessarily follow the
route of starting major new newspapers?

* The Internet might be an elitist medium at this point of time; but what
is likely to be the situation two years down the line? Already many in Goa
have access this medium? Is there any way of granting more access to the
Internet to more people in the state? Free modems for schools
(not a heavy investment)? Encouraging more youngsters to gain from the
Net? Opening up school labs for community use in non-school hours?

* Seeking to build up a newspaper that represents a community or caste
group (this was the case in the past for much of the 20th century; not
sure about the present) would be a disaster. What is needed is media
institutions who would be simply willing to tell the truth, without
censorship. But is that asking for too much?

* Just pouring in money into Goa could well be counter-productive, and
attract the wrong sort of interest. Instead, to make sure money is well
spent, would it be possible to, say, offer scholarships to young students
to study journalism/media studies outside Goa? (There are virtually no
such courses in Goa.)

* What happens when the interest of the expat is seen as running counter
to that of the Goa-based Goan? Is there some way of harmonising these?

The need for a free and vibrant press is a must for any society. In the
'sixties, 'seventies and early 'eighties, there was virtually no media
diversity, particularly in the English-language press. The arrival of
Herald (1983) and Gomantak Times (1987) did something to change that
situation. But, papers too mature, and once circulation grows, there's a
tendency to become pro-establishment, leading to the newer papers
suffering from similar ailments as the earlier ones.

As one firmly believes, a society that cannot think for itself, and
generate its own ideas... is as good as an enslaved society. But finding a
solution is a far, far more complex issue that AVF suggests. FN