>India may grant dual citizenship by end of 2002

>"Those having dual citizenship will enjoy all rights and privileges on a
par
>with Indian citizens, including right to property etc, but will not have
>political rights nor the right to run for political office. They may also
be
>barred from appointments in strategic areas like defence, atomic energy
>etc," he said.

Folks,
I am almost at a loss for words.
The above has got to be the most hilarious piece I have read in a long time.
If I am reading this properly, India wants to create a class of citizens
that are citizens, but not really citizens? Is there any citizen of the US
or Canada who is going to agree to become a citizen of a country where he
does not have ALL the rights that other citizens enjoy?

>Keeping in mind the January announcement by Prime Minister Atal Bihari
>Vajpayee on grant of dual citizenship to non-resident Indians (NRIs), a
>concerted effort is being made by the government to ensure that a law is
>enforced to this effect before January 2003, which marks the anniversary of
>Mahatma Gandhi's return to India from South Africa.

This paragraph is just got to be the icing on this (fruit) cake news
release.
If I have understood the logic of the Indians, to celebrate the aniversary
of Mahatma Gahdhi's return to India, India is going to create a special
class of citizens that will not have the rights to run for political office?

I thank my stars I live in Canada.

Mervyn Lobo