In a message dated 04/30/2002 8:26:16 AM EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< The intention behind the service is to remember and pray for the dead
 ancestors (also masses are offered for the souls of the dead ancestors,
 close relatives of the family and even the old deceased faithful servant
 of the family) on this important occasion of their house, through the
 medium of these beggars representing them, the needy >>

Dear Fr. Nascimento:

Your recordation of such historical facts is truly a tribute and honour to
our Proud Goan Heritage :-)

We have vivid memories of a similar ceremony in Karachi, on the actual
Wedding Day, when the married Goan couple would go outside with a bottle of
fine Scotch Whiskey or other liquor. The bottle would then be broken in the
compound, as I understood, to appease the souls of their beloved dead. We too
followed it.

Your labour of love in documenting these customs definitely helps develop a
keen awareness, especially among some who have lost touch with reality, of
these rich and noble traditions. Our colourful heritage is fraught with rich
and noble sentiments!

I couldn't but shudder when a local priest in our parish dared preach from
the pulpit about the antiquity of feeding the beggars.  He expressed doubts
if anyone these days would condescend to such customs. Ah, the difference
between East and West :(

Back in Karachi, Thursdays (Juma-raat), or the night before Friday, beggars
would converge around shops and homes. And yes, many of them were treated by
honest locals to similar bikareanchem jevonn :-)

Many thanks, Fr. Nascimento, for these inspirational postings.

We will pray for your good health. Blessings.

Clare & Pat de Sousa
Maryland, USA