IN RAIN-SOAKED GOA, WATER SHORTAGES BECOME A POLITICAL ISSUE

PANAJI, May 10: Some two dozen people sat before the man who has been
Goa's chief minister on three different occasions, and water surfaced as one
of the issues in this part of Saligao constitutency.

Saligao, the North Goa constutuency some 8 kms from Panaji, that long voted
for ex-Goa CM Dr Wilfred de Souza as its MLA, is just adjacent to the North
Goa coastal touristic belt. It is also home to the most rampant sale of
water by tankers, from villages like Sangolda, Guirim and Saligao itself.

To add to its woes, as the groundwater gets depleted by incessant drawal for
sale at around five paisa a litre, parts of the village now get tapped-water
supply for just one hour every alternate day. Hotels in the coastal zone,
including their swimming pools, meanwhile, somehow get the water supplies
they need.

"We're being cheated of our ground water, and it's being sold," says Mrs Isa
Vaz, raising the water issue at a recent campaign meeting for Dr Souza.

Pointing to figures thrown up by a study undertaken by concerned villagers,
it was noted that four hundred thousand (400,000) litres of water are being
sold each day from some nine wells in this village alone. Water is drawn and
ferried out of the village by tankers.

Goa recently passed a groundwater protection law, which however is still to
be effectively implemented. It has also come in for criticism of being
ridden with loopholes.

Faced with the ire over water, local MLA Dr Wilfred de Souza argued that
villagers need not worry about what would be the plight "of our children".
Souza said that large pipes are already being laid to bring water from dam
projects in interior Goa.

But it's not so sure whether laying down pipes would ensure that water flows
through them. Goa, which gets roughly 300 cms of rainfall (over 100 inches)
each year, has been unable to solve the state's water needs through
dam-dependent centralised water schemes.

Projects like the Salaulim irrigation project have seem over ten-fold cost
overruns. Piping in water from the eastern interiors to the populated
coastline is also fraught with its own difficulties.

In the past, Goa's naturally-evolved water-management strategy dependend on
villagers having their own wells. But these are falling into disuse, or
can't cope with the insatiable appetite of the hotel and industrial or
building lobby. Sometimes, in cases like Saligao, the wells are being simply
sucked dry.

Facing some angry sentiments, Dr Souza said he himself had accused the
ground-water minister of allowing people to "rob" groundwater, while the
water-table was going down.

Another villager, Nicholas Sequeira pointed out that Saligao "has been
suffering" due to the extraction of water, while the Goa government did not
have sufficient water to meet the needs of the tourism industry.

But, he felt, if the new pipeline is sanctioned, the demand for water (which
is sold outside the village, including to the Navy colony two villages away)
would be dropped. "Hopefully, these plans will materialise," he said.

Later, in the discussion interspersed with appeals for votes, the MLA also
conceded that there is a water problem even close to his home, at the other
end of Saligao.

Said Souza, a septuagenarian double-FRCS and one-time arguably Goa's best
surgeons: "I gave my land and made a road (in front of my house). Now, every
two minutes -- throughout the day and night -- there's a tanker taking water
on that road. He's minting money out of it. I blame myself for making the
road. The intention was not to encourage the tankers."

Irked over the situation, villagers have been studying the impact of drawing
out such large quantities of water on traditional wells in the area. Even in
normal monsoon years, they reported, there was a fifty percent increase in
wells in the area around where water is being sold that ran dry for the
first-time ever in the summer months of April or May.

In other parts of Goa too, there have been reports of water shortages coming
in, particularly in North Goa. Caretaker chief minister Manohar Parrikar
appealed to citizens not to get "panicky" over the situation.

Last monsoons (2001) was a poor one, but the unsustainble water-guzzling
industries, tourism, and building-boom is increasingly making its presence
here felt.  (#)