Dear Cybergaonkars,

Ethnic Cleansing is an unvoiced dream of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad/Bajrang
Dal/Sangh Parivar/BJP combine.

What is happening in Gujarat today is *State Sponsored Genocide*.  No
less.  It is happening because the BJP is in power.  It is planned.  It is
methodical.  It is cold bloodedly efficient.  And it is so successful, it
would make Adolf Hitler blush.

Tomorrow Goa gets a little photographic peep into the BJP's reign of terror
in Gujarat...

We hope the images will etch themselves into the memories of every secular
minded citizen of Goa.  At least till 30th May...

===================================
FORUM FOR COMMUNAL HARMONY
15.05.2002
Press release
(courtesy Goa Foundation/Other India Foundation)
===================================

On 13th April, 2002, the Forum for Communal Harmony had organised a Silent
Protest March and Public Rally in Panjim to protest the communal violence
in Gujarat and ask for stern action against the Gujarat Government, which
had not only failed to take action to stop the violence, but had actively
aided and abetted the rioters and looters. Similar protests have taken
place all over the country. The situation has not improved to date, and the
Central Government has not acted to bring the situation under control.
Worse, the Prime Minister and other senior members of the Government have
actually defended the acts of the Chief Minister of Gujarat, and tried to
justify the violence.

In these times, it is necessary for all citizens of this country to reflect
upon the growing communalisation of our society at the behest of the Sangh
Parivar, and where this trend is leading us. It is essential that ordinary
citizens come together to raise their voice against communalisation of
public life, and drive home to those in power that they will not stand
silently by, while the secular fabric of our nation is torn apart.

The media has done a good job of exposing the real truth behind what is
going on in Gujarat state which the Sangh Parivar has itself described as
being the 'laboratory' of its brand of politics. Despite the efforts of the
media, many citizens remain ignorant of the true situation. Keeping this in
mind, the Forum for Communal Harmony is organising an exhibition of
photographs on Gujarat, along with the screening of some films, in Panjim
and other parts of Goa.

A photo exhibition will be held at T.B. Cunha Hall in Panjim  on 16th-17th
April. The programme for the exhibition, which has been prepared by a
15-year old boy (see attached note) is given below. The Forum is open to
suggestions from citizens to hold exhibitions and screenings on this theme
in other parts of Goa.

16th May 2002
4.30 p.m. Inauguration of the exhibition at a public function to be
addressed by Adv. Amrut Kansar, Sahir Raza and others.
5.30 - 7.30 p.m. Exhibition and screening of film: "Hey Ram" by Gopal Menon

17th May 2002
9.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m. Exhibition

Sd/-

(Ramesh Gaus)

PHOTO EXHIBITION
"...And they killed him again''

*Boy captures agony on camera*

Trapped in the camera of a 15-year-old school boy, each imprint has a tale
to tell  of gore, agony, plunder and medieval barbarism. Clicked by Sahir
Raza, who visited the riot-ravaged areas of Ahmedabad, Gomtipur and
Mahendrapur in Gujarat last week, each of his 76 pictures bear testimony to
the uncontrolled violence that swept through the state.

"If you see my pictures, they look like leaves plucked out of our history
book detailing a foreign invasion on the Indian soil in the medieval ages.
But, the sad part is both the invader and the invaded, the killer and the
killed, the plunderer and the plundered belong to this soil. They are all
my countrymen,'' Sahir told UNI after the inauguration of his three-day
photo exhibition in New Delhi recently.

Aptly named "...And they killed him again'' with a picture of the Father of
the Nation turning his back to his countrymen, the exhibition displayed
charred ruins of houses and religious places, selective demolition of shops
and business centres, petrified victims with a stony silence and speaking
eyes, an empty grave waiting to be filled up - all shot in the areas hit by
over-a month-long communal carnage in Ahmedabad, Gomtipur and Mahendrapur.

The photo exhibition will be open to the public at T.B. Cunha Hall, Panjim,
on 17th May 2002.

Other India Bookstore, Mapusa, Goa, India stocks the most complete range of
alternative books from India and all books on Goa. To view our latest
catalogue and order books online, check out our website at:
http://www.goacom.com/books

Ensure that your clean money isn't used to create dirt! Other India
Bookstore's Social Investment Fund offers you an opportunity to put your
hard-earned money to good use and earn interest while doing so. Help make
the best of alternative books available to a wider audience. For details,
e-mail us.

Our phone numbers: 91-832-263306; 256479
Fax: 91-832-263305
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Postal address:
Other India Bookstore
Above Mapusa Clinic
Mapusa 403 507
Goa
India
Alternatinfo from *anOTHERgoa*
Information Is Power. Share It e-quitably.
Muriel & Mario. Saligao. Goa. 403511. India.
Tel:0832-278276. [EMAIL PROTECTED]