Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:20:38 +0530
From: Goa Desc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Goanet] Refer HIV/AIDS cases to Govt hospitals: GSACS.

Documented by Goa Desc Documentation Service
& circulated by Goa Civic & Consumer Action Network
(GOA CAN)<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Refer HIV/AIDS cases to Govt hospitals: GSACS

The Goa State Aids Control Society (GSACS) has requested
all private practitioners to refer all suspected cases of HIV/AIDS
to GMC/Hospicio/Asilo for diagnosis/treatment.

In a press release, GSACS has observed that,
some of the private practitioners still continue to refer
suspected HIV cases to ADHAR Clinic, at Old GMC Complex.

It is hereby brought to the notice of all the doctors that,
the ADHAR clinic has been closed since 1999 and hence,
no diagnosis/treatment is being provided at GSACS
located in the OPD Block, old GMC complex.

GSACS has further informed that, there are two voluntary counselling
and testing centres in Goa, one at Central Laboratory/OPD 13
of Goa Medical College, Bambolim and the other at the STD Clinic/Blood Bank
at Hospicio Hospital in Margao. The voluntary testing facility for HIV
infection
with pretest/post test counseling is available at these centres on payment
of Rs 10.

Under voluntary testing, the blood sample is tested for HIV antibodies
with three tests conducted with ELISA/Rapid/Simple with different antigen
preparations or different principles. This ensures a better reliability of
the test
and therefore further confirmation bases on western blot test
is not generally necessary as was done in the past.

For management of HIV/AIDS patients, CD4/CD8 blood count facility
is available in the Microbiology Department of the Goa Medical College.
As per the guidelines of National AIDS Control Organisation,
Rs 500 is charged per test and for poor patients this facility is provided
free of cost.

GSACS provides drugs for treatment of opportunistic infections
such as TB, Herpes, Candidiasis, etc in HIV/AIDS patients
treated at GMC, Hospicio and Asilo hospitals.

Similarly drugs for treatment of STIs/RTIs in all the Government,
STD clinics viz at GMC, Hospicio, Asilo
and STD clinic, Baina are provided by GSACS.

GSACS also provides drugs for post exposure prophylaxis
for health care workers in government hospitals.
Detailed guidelines have been issued by GSACS
regarding use of these drugs.

PEP has to be started immediately in case of any needle stick injury
or contact of non-intact skin or mucous membrane
with blood or other potentially infectious body fluids/tissue.
HERALD   12/5/02  page 5

GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
Documentation + Education + Solidarity
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
Tel: 252660 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Working On Issues Of Development & Democracy