C-701, Swaran Jayanti Sadan,
Bishamber Das Marg,
New Delhi-110001

May 18, 2002

Dear Home Minister,

It is reported that some of the relief camps in Gujarat are about to be closed.  A
letter written by Shri Bharat Bharot, a Minister in the State Government has been made
public. In fact some camps were closed following an order of the Collector of Dahod to
the Mamlatdars of Dahod, Jhalod and Limkheda.  We demand that no relief camp should be
closed until appropriate infrastructure is provided for rehabilitation of the inmates.
 The victims are asked to return to their homes which were destroyed by the mobs and
do not exist any more.  Furthermore, they are attacked by the neighbours and there are
pamphlets in wide circulation exhorting Hindus not to employ Muslims and to boycott
muslim shops and businesses.  In such circumstances where will they return to?  There
is indeed, a devious plan of the State administration to shift these victims as far
away from Ahmedabad as possible and out of the public eye.

We urge Government to spell out clearly the amount of compensation packages to the
victims, the criteria for eligibility and the timeframe for paying the compensation.
There are a number of cases where victims have been given cheques worth Rs.200 and
Rs.300 where their entire house has been destroyed.  A person cannot even open a bank
account with such amounts and they are not sufficient to buy even a door much less any
sort of house.

We demand that the rule that calls for a death certificate or a corpse in order for
the next of kin to qualify for compensation should be waived.  This rule was waived
for the victims of the earthquake.  In the present case many bodies have been burnt or
buried in mass graves making retrieval impossible.

We urge you to direct the State Government of Gujarat to take immediate action as per
the above suggestions so that the confidence of the people is restored and a measure
of normalcy returns to that beleaguered State.

We and most members of Parliament would like to contribute to this relief effort with
funds available to us under Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme
(MPLADS).  Government may permit us to do so.  The situation in Gujarat is indeed a
national calamity.

Yours sincerely,
Sd/- Eduardo Faleiro
Sd/- Prof. Ram  Gopal Yadav
Sd/- Prof. Ram Deo Bhandary
Sd/- Justice Ranganath Misra
Sd/- Mirza Abdul Rashid
Sd/- Smt. Sarla Maheshwari
Sd/- Dr. Arun Kumar Sarma
Sd/- Shri Kuldip Nayyar
Sd/- B.S. Ramoowalia

For any correspondence or clarification in the matter please contact Shri Eduardo
Faleiro, M.P. at C-701, Swarna Jayanti Sadan, Dr. Bishamber Das Marg, New Delhi-110001
or on phone No. 3319395 or 9810028850, Fax No. 3752140, E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]