Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:06:38 +0200
From: Viviana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Goanet] Subject: Free Business cards   From Hilario D'souza

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 19:05:44 +0100
From: "Eddie Fernandes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Goanet] Rudy Otter on The UK Asian Chaplaincy. From The Universe.

I am forwarding Ciril de Quadros post as he had problems doing so.  Your
attention is drawn to the plight of the nurses here in the UK who have been
recruited from India.  Ciril is attempting to obtain more details.  Eddie
Fernandes.

This is an article which appeared in 28th April issue of the Catholic weekly
'THE UNIVERSE', which I felt would be of interest to Goans everywhere, and
especially those based in the UK. The Asian Chaplaincy quarterly magazine
'CONTACT' as mentioned in the article provides a good mixture of interesting
stories, cooking recipes, pilgrimages, matrimonials etc. For info please get
in touch with Fr Oliver at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
best wishes

Ciril de Quadros
Raia & Slough
Article for The Universe ..... by Rudy Otter

"I wish," said Fr Oliver Antao of the UK's Asian Chaplaincy, "that we could
have a place of our own. I'd like to set up an advice centre -- this is our
most pressing need."

We were sitting in a small basement office at St Augustine's Priory,
Hammersmith, insulated by two doors from the rumble of Fulham Palace Road's
incessant traffic.

As we spoke, Fr Oliver's secretary, Olga Carvalho, a volunteer worker, took
a stream of calls from people wanting to renew their £5 annual subscriptions
for the Asian Chaplaincy's quarterly magazine, Contact, which goes to 2,000
people across the world, who in turn, widen its circulation by passing it on
to an estimated 8,000 readers..

Many callers asked to see 33-year-old Fr Oliver privately for his advice on
marital or family problems, or wanted to invite him to this or that event.

The office is crammed with bookshelves displaying such titles as Prayer for
World Peace, Our Lady of Massabielle, Jesus of Nazareth and the Catholic
Directory. It also houses an altar, a donated computer, filing cabinets, and
a couple of chairs for visitors. There are more religious books stored in a
cabinet in the narrow passageway leading up to ground level.

Rented from St Augustine's at £225 a month, the accommodation includes use
the church and church hall to hold the chaplaincy's monthly English and
Konkani (Goan language) services, and for the congregation to meet socially
afterwards.

The Asian Chaplaincy started life in the early 1980s when the late Cardinal
Basil Hume felt there was a need for such an organisation to help integrate
the then influx of refugees from Burma, India, Pakistan, Malaysia, the
Philippines and Sri Lanka into British society.

Refugees needed help and advice with securing jobs and accommodation as well
as social matters,  and the Asian Chaplaincy, founded by Fr Arthur Moraes in
its former premises in Victoria, central London, "played a tremendous role
in fulfilling those needs," said Fr Oliver.

Fr Oliver took over the Asian Chaplaincy in August 2001 from Fr Andrew
Fernandes (who had succeeded Fr Anthony Furtado) and served seven years in
the post, moving to Purley, Surrey, as assistant parish priest to help
spread the Christian message in local schools. In his farewell message in
Contact, Fr Andrew wrote that running the Asian Chaplaincy was a "very
important chapter in my life, spiritually and socially...a bewildering
mixture of joy and sad moments."

A total of £4,000 a year is contributed by Westminster and Southwark
dioceses to help fund the Asian Chaplaincy, which continues to look after
Asian immigrants' needs. Money is also raised through Asian Chaplaincy's
pilgrimages which this year will span Fatima, Bruges, Knock, Paris's Rue du
Bac, Beauraing in Belgium, Krakow in Poland, Kevelaer in Germany and
Aylesford.

Raffles and bring-and-buy sales held in Hammersmith help boost funds,
although one of the main source of income is the magazine 'CONTACT', which
is edited and produced by Francisco D'Souza who has a printing business.

One of the volunteers, Michael Lobo, comes in to help computerise the
chaplaincy's manual records. Previously a redundant accountant, he decided
to keep in touch with the working world and offered his services free to Fr
Oliver. Now he is back in an accountancy job but still pops in to help.

 Fr Oliver's duties include going to Liverpool and Southampton once a month
to hold Masses in English for Asian Christian ship workers, as well as to
Swindon where there is a large Asian community, for Konkani Masses. He also
attends meetings with around 20 other ethnic religious communities every
three months to exchange ideas and experiences.

He is looking forward to the 17th annual multi-cultural mass on May 26,
followed by a party in which various Asian countries will provide ethnic
fare, complete with singing and dancing entertainment. Fr Oliver, an
accomplished singer, is expected to join in the fun.

One of the chaplaincy's commitments is to work towards a "better and fuller
integration of the Asian community into their local churches," and provide
"pastoral and spiritual care".

A case he is concerned with involves six qualified nurses from India who
were promised nursing posts in Britain by a recruiting agent on the
subcontinent. However, when they arrived here they were "pushed into laundry
and cleaning jobs by the UK-based agent. "The case has gone to court and I'm
keeping an eye on what happens," said Fr Oliver.

He enjoys working in Hammersmith, and is grateful to St Augustine's Priory
for renting out the basement room, but feels he can achieve more for the
community "if the chaplaincy was physically a part of the Asian community."

Said Fr Oliver: "If there is a church anywhere about to close in strong
Asian Christian areas like Welling. Orpington, Hounslow, Wood Green, Tooting
or Plumstead, we would be interested in taking over."

ends