WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE
Margaret Mascarenhas
The lesser of two evils

Over the past 4 years, which is the tenure of the BJP leadership in
Gujarat, the magazine Communalism Combat has published a number of special
reports drawing attention to the insidious signs of a fascist anti-minority
build-up in the state, which includes a systematic politicization of the
police and blatant communal propaganda from sectarian publications such as
Sandesh and Gujarat Samachar. Even though the provocative behavior of the
ram sevaks on board the Sabarmati Express has been widely documented by the
secular press, the torching of bogey S-6 is clearly indefensible. However,
the statement of Narendra Modi, who has been staunchly defended by the BJP
everywhere, when he called subsequent targeted assaults on Muslims (which
included the rape, mutilation and burning of hundreds of civilians) in 16
districts "a natural reaction" is even more reprehensible, given that it
came from the mouth of a man who is by law supposed to represent ALL the
people of Gujarat. It is in clear violation of the principle of the
Representation of the People Act.

Last week I watched a documentary at the TB de Cunha Hall in which the
eyewitness account of a 10 year old boy describes the stomach of a pregnant
Muslim woman being slit open, the fetus ripped out, the fetus thrown in the
air, and caught on a trishul. If this behavior is "natural", then India has
regressed to a Cro-Magnon stage of evolution.

Today I received yet another spam mailer from the Goa BJP lauding the
remarks of Union Telecommunications Minister, Pramod Mahajan, on May
20:  "Taking on the Congress head on over its attempt to impose the Gujarat
incident as an agenda on the electorate of the state, Mr Mahajan said that
the issue of Gujarat, while relevant to the nation, had nothing to do with
the May 30 election in Goa. Think of the leadership of Goa, think of the
issues that the state of Goa faced. If you want to talk of the Gujarat
violence, then begin with Godhra, not Goa, he remarked, adding that it was
from Godhra that the Gujarat violence began. "

Even if we begin with Godhra, this does not paint a pretty future for Goa
under a BJP leadership.

I suggest the people of Goa begin with Goa. Whatever the manifesto of a
political party, once in power, it is constitutionally bound to represent
all sections of society.  When the VHP called an all-India bandh following
the Godhra incident, Goa's acting CM, Manohar Parrikar, publicly declared
the bandh a success. Which led many to legitimately wonder whether he was
functioning as a representative of the people of Goa or as a mouthpiece of
the VHP.  Goa had a faint whiff of Gujarat, and a taste of the potential
future, that day, when thugs ran amuck, enforcing the bandh and terrorizing
shopkeepers and people on the road. To my knowledge, none of the thugs were
arrested. If the situation in Gujarat has, according to Mahajan, nothing to
do with Goa, then why did Manohar Parrikar declare the Gujarat -related
bandh a success?  Is this his idea of good governance?

Here is an example of VHP-speak from Acharya Giriraj Kishore (senior
vice-president, VHP) in a pre-Godhra interview with rediff.com on February
7, 2002:

"These self-appointed secularists can no longer fool the Hindus who are
aware of the elaborate plan to damage our religion and religious beliefs.
Take it from me that our level of tolerance can be stretched no more. And
those who come in our way will be pulverized."

Pulverized? Secular Hindus who read this must be wondering what planet they
are on.

But, back to Goa. Isn't anybody wondering how it came to pass that the RSS
recently commandeered the grounds of the Sharada Mandir school, a secular
institution?  Could this occur under a secular government? The BJP in Goa
has promised a corrupt-free government, but so far, none of the
participants in last year's Miramar sex scandal have been charge-sheeted
and the issue has mysteriously faded into the woodwork. And who among us
can forget the sight of the former BJP party president accepting illegal
funds with his own hands on the video taken by Tehelka.com, which was
broadcast globally.  What does it matter who funded Tehelka? He took the money.

Having said all this, I realize that the Goan electorate is still caught
between a rock and a hard place. Disappointing even to Congress grass-roots
workers, the party has fielded the same candidates who have, in the past,
created instability and betrayed the electorate. Meanwhile, Dr Willie de
Sousa's idea of an election platform is ludicrous-screaming about
defectors-and a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black, if I ever
heard one, coming from the father of defection in Goa whose only political
claim to fame is the toppling of governments but never of governing. His
only contribution this time around will be to split the vote.

Nevertheless, an anguished Hindu gentleman I spoke with recently made this
chilling remark in regard to May 30th: " If my only option is to choose
between a corrupt member of a secular party and a card-carrying fascist, I
will choose the corrupt politician; it is the lesser of two evils."