Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:37:47 +0530
From: "Niraj Naik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Goanet] IT enhanced efficiency...for poll results -- DigITal Goa

IT enhanced efficiency, reliability and speed of poll results
Digital Goa Team

PANAJI -- Gone are those days when one had to wait for days to get the
complete results of the elections, be it panchayat, state or parliament
elections.=20

Now, like every other field, IT has also transformed the way elections
are conducted in the largest democracy in the world. Thanks to the
compact size and better infrastructural facilities, usage of IT is most
effective in Goa.

IT application has not only reduced the manpower requirement drastically
but has increased the efficiency, speed and reliability of election
results.

IT is being used in number of ways in the election process. The Election
Commission of India, which is responsible for conducting the elections
for state assembly, sets up a network linking the ECI headquarters in
Delhi to every district head quarters going for polls. A central office
located in the State capital acts as an intermediately between New Delhi
and District Transmitting Centres (DTC).

All the district Transmitting Centres are equipped with computers,
telephone lines, Internet connections and fax machines for smooth and
faster data transfer. DTCs are manned by a statistical officer from the
Department of Planning and Statistics and a programmer/ software
engineer from National Information Centre.

A specially designed software package called =93Genesys=94 is used for
transferring the data from the DTCs to ECI in New Delhi.
The data is transferred in the form of FTP files using Genesys software
in three major stages =96 pre-counting data, counting data and post
counting data.

Three hotlines are operational through out the election process
connecting North Goa, South Goa and Central office in Panaji to the CEO
in Delhi. Each returning officer is also provided with fax machines and
STD lines.

The staff is specially trained to handle the job of data entry with
speed and precision. Electorate rolls are also updated simultaneously on
the computers.

However, the major factor which contributed to the declaration of early
results is the use of electronic voting machines (EVMs). As like last
assembly elections, the forthcoming assembly polls in Goa will be held
exclusively on EVMs. In all, 1441 EVMs will be used in the 1135 polling
stations in the state.

The failure rate of these EVMs is almost nil and it needs just four
steps to display the candidate wise and party wise results. The booth
wise results are then compiled by the computers to give the results of
each constituency. All this is done within a short time. Results are
then conveyed to the CEO and which in turn updates them on their website
- -- www.eci.gov.in

[EMAIL PROTECTED] Office: Flat No. S-1, Bldg. No. 3, Merces
Apartments, MERCES-GOA 403005.
=20