TAJOKE VILLAGE, Pakistan: A Christian group has launched an appeal to
non-governmental organisations to depute an army of animators across
rural towns and villages.The step will ensure that the maximum number of
Christians get organized for the benefit of their communities,according
to a spokesperson for the Young Soldiers of Christ -- a designated
development committee.

Most Christians here desire to do something for others, said the spokesperson, but
their efforts remain hamstrung by the perpetual lack of guidance. "We need to raise an
army of animators to assist our community members, especially those living in rural
areas," she said.

Drawing upon the successful experience of her native village, Young Soldier Nighat
Masih said that since the visit of a Caritas animator in January 2000 Tajoke village
had been transformed. "We have begun to work in harmony for the development of our
village," she said.

"At first the Caritas animator, B.M. Shahid,encouraged us to initiate a thorough
survey of our village and its inhabitants," Nighat reminsced. The survey was useful,
because it helped Young Soldiers to construct a true image of their community. Data
relating to the population and infrastructure of the village allowed them to see their
problems in a different light.

Tajoke may have had primary schools, roads, electricity, and water-pumps but the list
of unavailable amenities was longer. Within months the Young Soldiers was able to map
out a development agenda for their village. The supply of gas and running water as
well as the contruction of a church became priorities for the community. In the near
future Tajoke will form a cooperative, with an eye to boost their village economy.

Caritas Pakistan regularly holds training workshops for local development committees.
The purpose of the training is to impart committee members skills in community
mangement, so that they may be competent enough to deal with their own affairs.