"santoshhelekar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The recent spate of posts and worldwide hysteria about Padre Pio's
>canonization has once again drawn attention to supernatural phenomena, such
>as stigmata, bi-location and miraculous cures. To those who might be
>muscled into believing in these things by the sheer magnitude of this
>hysteria, I would like to present below a contrasting rational view
>regarding these phenomena.

Dear Readers:

This so-called “rational view” hereinabove can be ascribed to “personal
opinion” (or viewpoint”), and we know the definition of “opinion” and more
so, --how opinions can differ across the spectrum.

However, I hasten to add that I wouldn’t blame Santosh for his “skeptic”
views on various matters concerning -- God, Religion and miracles -– after
all (I guess) his profession calls for skepticism.  Nevertheless, I wonder
if he would do good by viewing the glass as “half full” rather than “half
empty” in the course of his discernments and discourses on vital issues.

In the canonization process there is a role known as (or previously called)
the “Devil’s Advocate” this role freely allows for refutation of a miracle
claim through (scientific) demonstration.

Any scientific theory, by definition, is as good as the conclusive proof it
provides.  And any amount of unsubstantiated rhetoric cannot disapprove,
invalidate or repudiate a miracle in its own right, virtue and definition.
The canonization process is subjected to rigorous scrutiny and scientific
study and analysis, and therefore amply allows for refutation of claims.
And when --and only when-- no evidence is produced, to refute the occurrence
of the miracle, or miraculous cure/s as in this case, it is declared as such
(“miracle”) --as inexplicable phenomenon, to the human mind.

A passage from the book “Conversation with God” succinctly states:

“You don’t want to know the Truth, you want to know the Truth as you
understand it.  This is the greatest barrier to your enlightenment.  You
think you already know the Truth! You think you already understand how it
is.  So you agree with everything you see or hear or read that falls into
the paradigm of your understanding, and reject everything which does not.
And this you call learning? This you call being open to the teachings?
Alas, you can never be open to teachings so long as you are closed to
everything, save your own Truth.”

God and miracles have remained unfathomable mysteries to humankind – and
science cannot unravel this mystery.  And as mysterious as it may seem – it
is an irrefutable fact that miracles do occur in human life.  Truth never
changes its form; it will always remains as the “truth” –- no matter what
the case, condition or circumstance.

Best wishes,

Joe Vaz