Documented by Goa Desc Documentation Service
& circulated by Goa Civic & Consumer Action Network
(GOA CAN)<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Erratic power affects plans to install medical equipment
Erratic power supply has caused a setback to plans of Goan doctors
to install sophisticated imported medical equipment.
Due to frequent disruptions most of the equipment gets damaged
and physicians are facing losses and hardships.
Health conscious Goans now will have to go to hospitals situated
in Mangalore, Bangalore and Mumbai where the power supply is more stable.

Dr Anand alias Salil Dalvi of Imaging Point who had installed US machines
in his clinics has genuine grievances against the Power department.
He laments "In Mumbai we have problems like sewage, gutter and others
but no power problems at all." He is of the opinion that these power
fluctuations
could be rectified. "Imagine if power trips while I am scanning an accident
patient
and you know how people react with us. The most important thing with us
is that our equipment costs not only lakhs but crores and if something goes
wrong
with the power supply we lose heavily. The cost of a small part begins with
lakhs of rupees,"
he explained.

The Bone Densitometry machine for testing contents of calcium in a bone
was burnt down due to power tripping, laments another doctor.
"I brought engineers from GE to test and got fitted a special Servo stabiliser
from Mumbai but till date nothing is done," he complains.

The doctors feel that if the Power Department in big cities like Mumbai,
Bangalore can provide uninterrupted power supply, then why can't the
State Electricity Department supply power to a small state of Goa?

Dr Pramod Talaulikar, from Shrimati Laxmibai Talaulikar memorial hospital
near Boca de Vaca said since their equipment works exclusively on power,
due to frequent fluctuations in power supply they cannot perform emergency
operations or do trans urethral surgery of prostrate or bladder.
He explained that without continuous power supply they are handicapped.
He felt that the government must do something to do away this menace.
The doctors felt that if they switch over to generators, they would have
to shell out extra money which would be an unnecessary burden.

Dr Ravindra Revonkar, a radiologist from the city has also got his UPS burnt
and due to low voltage on many occasions films are under exposed.
He said most of the time there is no normal power supply
as a result X-ray machines don't function.

Costly machines like image intensifier TV, screening machines,
equipment to test barium meal, ulser barium anaemia,
pace maker and other sophisticated machines require uninterrupted power supply.

The former president of the Indian Medical Association, Dr Jayant Bhandare
said almost every day we have power problems. Due to this one problem
we have to face several other problems too.

The president of Goa Medical Association, Goa, Dr Deelip Bhandare
who looks after the renowned Bhandare hospital narrates the same story.
THE NAVHIND TIMES  26/6/02

GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
Documentation + Education + Solidarity
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
Tel: 252660 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]