WELL DONE BRAZIL.

And finally Brazil again crowned champions of World Soccer.  Congratulations
due to them for the good display they dished out in the final. Without them
in the final and worst still with their early exit if it had to happen the
charm of World Cup would disappear. In Kuwait many of my friends and
acquaintances were constantly praying for their success.  If you carefully
analyse the final you will notice that inspite of their weakness, Germans
gave a stiff competition to their opponents who were saved twice by the bar
and post.  However, you must accept that the woodwork is also a part of
defense and it sometimes especially during crucial time creates wonders.
Lanky defender Lucio deserves compliments for giving his heart and guarding
his citadel very well, though not a sprinter yet his big strides helped him
to overcome the speedy forwards.  Roberto Carlos was easily the hero of
Brazilian fight for their supremacy.  I admire his defensive tactics, his
skill of acquiring the ball from the feet of the opponents, his abundant
stamina running from one end to the other and still doing the recovery of
his position right in time.  His goal thru direct free kick against China
proved his superiority in this area.  No goalkeeper can take his direct free
kick lightly.  Earlier we saw how Frenchman Platini and Argentinian Maradona
feared by the opposing custodians when both these great foot-ballers used to
take the direct free kick.  Captain Cafu played his heart of course
tirelessly and very cleverly not only to defend his citadel but also to
attack and feed his forwards with clever passes.  He reminded me of the role
played earlier by Italian skipper and defender Fascheti in 1970 World Cup.
Moreover, Cafu showed how gentleman he is when he left his area and rushed
to German keeper Kahn to console him after the end of final.  Rivaldo,
Ronaldinho and Ronaldo no doubt a deadly trio very difficult to control and
contain yet they are far inferior to the great Brazilians we saw in earlier
Cups. Ronaldo no doubt played his part well yet he was very much erratic in
finishing, he was not as accurate as Maradona was once during his hey days.
A player of Ronaldo’s category should be as accurate as any sharpshooter.
Yet he deserved compliments for the role he played in Brazil’s victory.

The magic of Brazil came into display only during their encounter with
England especially when young toothy Ronaldinho displayed his real genius by
totally fooling the entire defense of England and passing the ball to
Rivaldo just to give a final touch of course with his brilliance.  The
magical display Ronaldinho showed for this goal was rarely seen in the
earlier World Cups.  His second goal was no doubt a great feat but it was
not a masterpiece, it was a faultpiece of English keeper. Even then it was
not an easy task to score such a goal from such a long distance in a direct
free kick.

Denilson sobbing after the final reminded me how the great Eusebio of
Portugal in 1966 cried after his great team lost in the semi-final against
the host England.  The cameraman who cliqued that photograph was given
topmost award. In every final and in every World Cup crying should be there,
somebody cry for the loss as Eusebio did while others cry for victory as
Denilson did and earlier in 1958 as a young kid of 17 Pele did, he sobbed of
course uncontrollably in inspite of pacifying by great Didi, Vava and
Garincha.  Pele then was too young to control his emotions.

A quarter of a century back one could not bear to have Asian or African
teams competing in world cup because these teams always dished out poor
performances.  But time has changed now and due to globalisation of soccer
African, Asian and Third World countries gained solid foothold of this game.
  They have proved in this World Cup and also earlier too how they have
improved. One of the reasons for the improvement of soccer in third world
countries and also elsewhere was the contribution of Brazilian skill and
techniques acquired by these countries thru the import of Brazilian coaches
and players.  May God Bless Brazil.

During the World Cup the media especially the print one was full of news.
Almost all the national newspapers of India gave front page coverage due to
which the other sports news was totally eclipsed to secondary and tertiary
places.  This shows the importance of this game though India is nowhere in
its ratings.  In this forum we read lot of stories written by lot of writers
but among all the writers, I liked the stories flashed by Agnelo Gomes from
USA immediately after the matches were over.  His assessment and language
used were very appropriate and to the point. He left nothing for
speculation.  Thru his reviews I learnt a lot.  It is nice to have such
great soccer journalists amongst Goans.  May Goans have more of such writers
and may Goa produce World class soccer players in future.

During this World Cup we saw no fighting on the streets after the defeats of
England, France and Germany.  Normally spectators and supporters of these
teams are known to be very good ruffians and that they are so was proved in
the proceeding World Cups.  The organizers Japan and Korea deserve
compliments for organising this tournament though jointly but very
efficiently.  The World Cup festival every four years is really creating
wonders in the World, it unites the world as one family and it brings every
nation closer to the other.  There is no such event in the world as World
Cup that binds the world together.  Hail World Cup.

During this World Cup we not only saw the good brand of soccer but we also
saw the men's acceptance of God's power.  In this World Cup we noticed the
strong chord between men and God and Brazil showed it to the World that
Power of God can create anything. yes of course, they believed in Jesus
Christ and propagated Jesus Christ much much better than those Church
leaders such as priests, bishops, cardinals and others in the Churches.

During the Prize distribution ceremony we saw great Pele and Backenbeur
playing major roles along with FIFA officials. Yes, it is their right to be
there and not of Presidents, Premiers, Kings and other political leaders who
assembled there to watch the final.  The leaders of the countries may be
good in their areas of functioning but surely not on soccer field.  Soccer
field and related matters should be left to soccer pundits only.  It is a
very good lesson for many of us who invite as chief guests and guests of
honour for our soccer festivals dignitaries and persons who know nothing of
soccer.

Once again congratulations to Brazil.

A Veronica Fernandes,
Kuwait.