KARACHI: The Catholic Church needs to enlist a battalion of laypersons to
assist "overburdened" priests in parish activities, a senior church
official said here.

Speaking at the annual convention of St John's Church in Drigh Road,
Bishop Evarist Pinto said it was becoming "extremely difficult" for a
single priest to meet the needs of a parish, especially those comprising
several areas.

"I went to a certain Christian locality and there were so many people, all
Christians...the flock of Christ, who had so many needs. I think one
priest was needed full time to cope with their needs," Bishop Pinto told
participants at the three-day convention.

"So at this moment we need more people, laymen and women, to come forward
and help in the parishes." he said. Before his consecration as the
auxilliary bishop, Bishop Pinto served as the parish priest of Mehmoodabad
church, the hub of the largest parish in the archdiocese of Karachi. "Not
a single day passes whern there isn't a birth or a death in this
parish. It is not unusual for the priest in Mehmoodabad to baptise five or
six babies a day. A priest does have his hands full on most days," said
the former parish priest of St Paul's Church.

This parish consists of people from 12 different areas including Azam
Basti, Azam Town, New Azam Basti, Akhtar Colony, Kashmir Colony, Baluch
Colony, Purana Mehmoodabad, Hazara Colony, Manzoor Colony, Liquat Ashraf
Colony and Defence Society.

Earlier, on the third day of the convention at St John's Church, the
bishop administered 300 children and adults the sacrament of
confirmation. Bishop Pinto, assisted by four priests, told the
newly-confirmed persons that they should be able to judge the signs of
the times, in order to spread the mission of Christ and in coming days
lend a helping hand to the gigantic task of evangelisation.

Church officials said that the people who received the sacrament of
confirmation were overjoyed as they had been preparing for the event for
the past two months.

The first and second days of the convention, held on the eve of the feast
of Penetecost, were devoted to the Holy Spirit and Fr Matthew Sebastian
and Fr Ilyas gave inspiring lectures on how the Spirit of Truth moves the
people of God to recognise their vocation.