And now, marks for cricket

>From Indo-Asian News Service

Bangalore, July 9 (IANS) Imagine getting marks for playing cricket.

This is precisely what a school in Bangalore plans to do from next week. It
will introduce cricket as part of the curriculum "with 50 marks for theory
and 50 marks for practicals," said Father Michael John, principal of the St.
Joseph's Boys High School.

And, for the formal inauguration of the discipline, the principal is
awaiting the return from Britain of the school's former student and Indian
Test player Rahul Dravid.

"The craze is there for the game. But we are looking at it from the point of
developing a child's personality and his character. We have also asked one
of our counsellors to take up sport psychology," said John.

The Indian Council of Secondary Education (ICSE) system, which the school is
affiliated to, provides the option of selecting an optional subject to
develop skills that include physical education, too.

"The ICSE is planning to introduce various such subjects like cricket or
yoga in the school curricula by 2005. They could look at this as a pilot
project," said John.

"Initially, we are introducing cricket only for the students of the fifth
standard this year before scaling it up for higher standards later," he
added. The school has 150 students in the fifth standard.

"The pressure of studies on a student is not much at this level. And, we are
not insisting that the student should pass in this discipline, too. The
intention is not to produce a cricket team but offer sports as a career
option at a later stage," he said.

John has discussed the syllabus with former England test player Frank Tyson
who runs a cricket academy in Australia. "The syllabus would not only cover
batting, bowling and fielding but also team building, communication skills,
discipline and fairness," he added.

The St. Joseph's group of institutions, including the St. Joseph's Indian
high school, have produced players like Brijesh Patel, Syed Kirmani and
Roger Binny among others. World Tel chief, late Mark Mascrenhans, was also a
product of St Joseph's Boys high school.

--Indo-Asian News Service