Indian melody queen Lata sings for Gen-Y composers

By Subhash K. Jha, Indo-Asian News Service    (byline mandatory)

Mumbai, July 7 (IANS) After singing for two generations of composers like
S.D. Burman in the 1950s and 1960s and his son Rahul Dev Burman in the 1970s
and 1980s, the Indian nightingale has moved on to Gen-Y music directors.

The voice that has ruled Indian film music fans since the 1950s has now
paired up with santoor maestro Shiv Kumar Sharma's son Rahul for "Mujhse
Dosti Karoge" and Himesh Reshammiya for "Sethu".

At the age of 73, legendary Indian playback Lata Mangeshkar continues to
conquer new peaks and her song "Andekhi Anjani Si" with Udit Narayan for
Rahul Sharma is already on its way to becoming a chart topper.

The other song she has sung for Rahul for the same album is "Jaane dil mein
kab se hai tu" with Sonu Nigam.

She matches note for note and at times even overshadows Udit and Sonu who
are half her age.

In fact both Rahul and Reshammiya are also in their 20s.

About how it feels like singing for composers young enough to be her
grandchildren, Lata says: "I do feel their reserve and nervousness. I wish
they would come forward and tell me where I'm going wrong in my singing.

"The new generation of composers tend to be a little reserved. I miss that
give-and-take of ideas with Rahul that was there when I recorded songs for
his father in 'Silsila' and 'Vijay'. But I feel composers like Rahul and
Himesh with their command of classical Indian music will revive the era of
melodies in Bollywood."

"She's a phenomenon beyond all phenomena," says Reshammiya, who like Sharma
belongs to the new millennium music-makers in Bollywood who have taken over
from Jatin-Lalit, Anand-Milind and Anu Malik who ruled the charts until last
year.

Reshammiya, who has helmed two hit soundtracks "Kyaa Dil Ne Kahaa" and
"Humraaz", says: "Lata is the only singer who links every generation of
composers since the inception of playback singing.

"My father, who's a well-known musician, had the opportunity to work with
her for almost four decades. Now it's my turn. It's a song that I've
tentatively titled 'Mujhe tumse hua hai pyar ke dil pardesi ho gaya'.

"It's a theme song and I felt only Lata can sing it for me. I was too
nervous to approach her, so I sent the recorded song to her home. My father
told her it's my dream that she sing for me. She liked the tune and agreed
readily.

"If I may say so, it's a divine melody which only she could do justice to."

Himesh's father Vipin Reshammiya is a veteran Gujarati musician and music
director.

The song is for the new Salman Khan starrer "Sethu", which is a remake of
the Tamil film of the same name that featured Vikram and Abhita.

It will be filmed on debutante Bhumika completing the ninth generation of
heroines  -- after Nargis-Madhubala-Meena Kumari, Nutan-Waheeda Rehman, Asha
Parekh-Sadhana-Sharmila Tagore, Mumtaz-Hema Malini-Jaya Bhaduri, Rati
Agnihotri-Poonam Dhillon, Sridevi-Bhagyashree-Madhuri Dixit, Karisma
Kapoor-Raveena Tandon and Kareena Kapoor -- for whom Lata has done playback.

Reshamiyya, who's recording songs for only select number of films, feels a
composer arrives only when Lata sings for him.

Rahul seconds that emotion. While Reshamiyya's self-proclaimed "mind blowing
melody" by Lata would be released by yearend, Rahul's "Mujhse Dosti Karoge"
track has begun its way up the charts.

Interestingly, Lata vies for attention along with pop queen Alisha Chinai in
the soundtrack.

Lata also does an upbeat, rabble-rousing medley of her evergreen hits like
"Jhooth bole kauva kaate" from "Bobby" and "Ajeeb dastaan hai yeh" from "Dil
Apna Aur Preet Parayi" in "Mujhse Dosti..."

--Indo-Asian News Service