Goemkars where ever you may be !

As part of the celebrations for World Goa Day,  Cheryl Braganza has dedicate
her new exhibition entitled BREAKING THE SILENCE (Montreal - from July 4 to
July
30, 2002)  to Goans all over the world. Here is a report from The Chronicle.

Cheryl will be in the New York area this weekend .

EYES EXPRESS WOMEN'S PAIN

Artist Cheryl Braganza exhibits her work at Kirkland Library this month

BY SCOTT TAYLOR

The Chronicle

The women stare back at you, some directly, others off into a distance only
they can see. There is tragedy in their eyes, but also hope, determination
and love. They come to life from the imagination of Kirkland artist Cheryl
Braganza, and they're not easily forgotten.

Chronicle, Peter McCabe

Cheryl Braganza works on a new painting in her Kirkland home last Friday
afternoon.
Braganza, who is showing her works at Kirkland Library until July 30, said
the inspiration she gets comes from what she feels when she sees the pain of
others.
It all started with me feeling guilty over what the Afghan women were going
through. It meant that they had to go to war in order for me to find out
what was going on. And that distressed me a lot, so I started finding out
about the women in Afghanistan and the women in India - my own culture -
thoughts I had sort of pushed aside after having come to Canada. I had to
express myself, and the only way I can express myself is through my
painting."

Many of her paintings, brilliant with colours that convey the feelings of
the artist, were born from events of the last few years, including the Sept.
11 terrorist attacks. "I painted all these," she said, "just from reading
the newspapers and listening to the news. And I feel that women's voices
have not been heard enough and if I can make them heard through my art, at
least I'm doing something positive."

Born in Bombay, India, Braganza studied art in Rome and England before
arriving in Canada and settling in Kirkland. A true world traveller, she
wears her emotions on her sleeve - or at least on her canvas.

"The idea of this show is to open eyes as this has all opened my eyes. I
hope that it raises people's consciousness and, finally, that it leads
somewhere for me."
Braganza admitted there is someone in Goa, India, who is building a
five-star hotel and wishes to display a painting or two in the lobby.
"That's pretty exciting, so we'll see what happens."

Kirkland Library director Evlyn Payton-Tayler said such exhibits are a
regular occurrence at the facility. "We provide space for artists on a
monthly basis, but they do have to show a certain level of competence.
Cheryl's art certainly qualifies."

Aside from the hours standing at the canvas, she is an artistic force behind
the fundraising of the West Island Palliative Care Residence. She is
donating one of her original paintings, as well as acting as the beacon for
other artists to become involved.

"It started by accident," she said. "I phoned (executive director) Teresa
(Dellar) and offered to donate a painting and we got to talking and I
wondered what else I could do to help. Now I have 50 paintings from artists
to auction off. And there will be 50 more coming."

The library is located at 17100 Hymus Blvd. The exhibit can be viewed during
regular opening hours. You can also visit
 www.picturetrail.com/cherylbraganza.

http://www.westislandchronicle.com/actualite.wdi?code=2432&Chronique=SpotLig
ht

Fwd -Rene