Dear All,
Here's an invitation for the 21st presentation in the Signs of Hope lecture
series. Sorry for cross-postings.
regards,
Manisha Sheth Gutman

INVITATION 15 July , 2002
SIGNS OF HOPE - 21

Presentations on environment and development

Dear friends,
Kalpavriksh in collaboration with Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication,
CEE, WWF - Pune, Parisar, and Ecological Society, invite you to the twenty
first of a series of presentations on environment and development, with the
common theme: The SIGNS OF HOPE. As is apparent from the series title, these
presentations focus on the widespread, but often under-reported, work that
communities, organizations, and individuals are doing to protect nature and
natural resources, regenerate land and water, control pollution and ensure
recycling, and establish responsible governance structures.

CRITIQUING DEVELOPMENT THROUGH ALTERNATIVE MEDIA
By
Ms. Anjali Monteiro and Mr. K. P. Jayashankar
Tata Institute of Social Sciences

Date and time: 15 July, Monday, 6.00 pm to 8.00 pm
Venue: Vishwa Bhawan, Symbiosis Institute
Senapati Bapat Road, Pune - 411 004

A brief introduction of the speakers and their work is given over-leaf.

We would be very grateful if you could come for this presentation. There
will be a lecture with viewing of excerpts from films for about an hour and
a half in total, followed by an extended open discussion. The presentation
will be in English and Hindi .

There will also be a display of publications on Environment and Development.

Note: To accomodate the growing audience, we have organised for a much
larger hall for this lecture and we would like to assure you that there will
be ample space for everyone. Also, we are redoing our entire mailing list -
please make sure that you fill in a mailing list form with your contact
details - even if you are already on our current list. The forms will be
made available at the event.

Manisha Sheth Gutman , Kalpavriksh
About the speakers

Anjali Monteiro is Professor and Head, and K.P. Jayasankar is Reader
(Production), Unit for Media and Communications, Tata Institute of Social
Sciences. Monteiro has a Masters degree in Economics and a Ph.D. in
Sociology. Jayasankar has an M.A. in German language and a Ph.D. in
Humanities and Social Sciences, from IIT, Bombay

Both of them are involved in media production, teaching and research.
Jointly they have won nine national and international awards for their
videos. These include the Prix Futura Berlin 1995 Asia Prize for Identity-
The Construction of Selfhood and a Special Mention of the Jury at MIFF `96
for Kahankar: Ahankar and a Certificate of Merit, MIFF '98, for YCP 1997
Their work has been shown at several film and video festivals. They have
also written several papers in the area of media and cultural studies and
have contributed to scholarly journals such as Cultural Studies.
The presentation will include excerpts from some of the team's films on
development.