It feels very good to be welcomed to the "goanet". I am a 'niz Goencar'
and I look forward to reading news and getting to know the political
state of our Mogachem Goem who has always been our mother and has given
us all that we boast we have.

Though of course, many of us including my precious self have been away
from Goa and our 'maienchi bhas' it is an irony how we miss it so much and
all that we say, do or think here in the west is very much shaped by what
we have seen, touched, tasted, felt, heard and encountered in our mother
land we are proud to call it 'amchem mogachem Goem'.

I am Alfredo Pereira, who was born and brought up in Vasco-da-Gama and
who originally hails from Divar, Ilhas, Goa, is proud to be a Goan. After
finishing my 'Primary' education('Mullavem' xikop) at St. Andrew's
Institute in Vasco in the early seventies, I moved to the Pilar Seminary,
to pursue my priestly calling. I finished my classes V to X, being the
second batch of the new cousrse termed as 10+2+3; and the FIRST BATCH
under the "GOA BOARD" (March 1976). Having completed my XI & XII (Higher
Secondary Education) in Arts, at the Dhempe College of Arts & Science,
Miramar, Goa, joined the "novitiate" of the Missionary Society of
St. Francis Xavier, Pilar, Goa, from June 1978 to June 1979. And having
taken my temperory vows, went to Nagpur, where I took two degrees in
three years time, namely, Bachelor of Philosophy (St. Charles
Seminary) and Bachelor of Arts (St. Francis de Sales, college).

Later, I came back to Goa and was deputed by my superiors' to do my year
of "Regency"(year of probation) at the Guardian Angel Hostel, in
Sanvordem-Curchorem. After having successfully completed my year of
regency, I was allowed to do my four years of Theology at the Mission
Seminary, in Pilar.

Ordained a priest on April 26, 1987, at the Mission Seminary Chapel, by
his grace, Archbishop, Patriarch, Raul Gonsalves. Then I worked for a
couple of months as a 'prefect of the seminarians' in the Minor Seminary,
and after sustained consultation, the than newly elected Superior
General, Very Rev. Galdinho Monteiro, appointed me to work in the mission
of Punjab and Haryana at my request.

Moved to Bhatinda, Punjab, on September 16, 1987 and started looking after
the Projects of that mission and also started helping as a consignee of
the CRS (Catholic Relief Service) for Simla-Chandigar Diocese. Later did
my Punjabi studies in Gurmuki script in the remote village of Patiala and
worked as an Assistant Parish Priest of Holy Rosary Church, Sirsa,
Haryana.

But fate had it that my mom died suddenly of brain Hemorrage and I was
recalled to Goa at the behest of my dad and appointed as Assistant Parish
Priest of Guardian Angel Church, Sanvordem - Curchorem. as of June
1989. After having worked there for two years, at my repeated request,
the Superior General, Rev. Fr. Galdinho Monteiro, allowed me to do my
B.Ed. at the Nirmala College of Education in Altinho, Panjim. During that
time I came across a favourite professor, Sergio Carvalho, under whom I
did my introduction to Environmental Studies and took active part in the
Konkan Railway Agitation along with lot of my B.Ed. colleagues.

Again fate had it that my dad required some monetary help to build his own
house, which brought me here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada on October 12,
1993. Since than I am working here and am very happy serving the Church of
Canada, I have now been incardinated in the Diocese of Calgary. I have a
priest brother, who is also belonging to the Pilar order.

Use what you want from the little history I gave above as part
of my introduction.

Thanks and chao,

Fr. Alfredo