[Is it not strange that these heinous crimes get hushed up in Goa? Eddie]

Headline: HOLIDAY PARADISE RAPE WAS JUST  START OF HELL

Source:  The Mirror.  Jul 29 2002 [The mirror is a major UK tabloid with a
circulation of over 2 million copies daily].

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12071933&method=full&siteid=50143

 HOLIDAY PARADISE RAPE WAS JUST  START OF HELL

 By Sara Nuwar

 HAZEL Smith wants justice - and she is prepared to fly 5,000 miles to make
sure  that the man she says raped her is punished.

 Her rape in the Indian paradise holiday resort of Goa was a brutal,
terrifying ordeal.  But what happened to her afterwards turned her life
into a waking nightmare.

 While the 36-year-old former travel firm director was still shocked and
bleeding from her assault, Indian police:

 -MADE her go back to the scene of the crime just an hour after the rape;

 -FORCED her to pick up the rapist's clothes from the floor for use as
evidence;

 -ASKED her to travel alone in the back of the police van with the man who
had  raped her;

 -LEFT her to sit and listen while police beat her attacker up at the
police station;

 -MADE her wait for six hours for medical tests even though she had been
badly  injured.

 Now, speaking for the first time Hazel says: "I just want justice. I also
want tourists to be more aware of the dangers."

 (Four tourists were reportedly raped in Goa in January, but none of them
reported  the attacks to police.)

 "I know a lot of people have to deal with much more awful things," Hazel
says. "But  I still have dreadful nightmares and it haunts me."

 Hazel's ordeal began in January during a three-week holiday at the popular
 destination.

 On the night of the assault, she had gone for a traditional Indian massage
on one  of the busiest streets in Baga.

 Hazel, from Gillingham in Kent, who has travelled to India three times,
says: "The  place looked reputable and the man showed me all his
certificates and  recommendations from other tourists. He put me at ease.

 "It all seemed very normal. But then he started to touch my breasts and I
noticed he  had locked the door."

 AS SHE struggled to get to her feet the 23-year-old masseuse lunged at
her,  grabbing her by the throat. He pinned her against the wall before
raping her.

 "I really thought I was going to die. I was screaming and crying," she
says.

 "When he'd finished he walked to the bathroom and I made a run for the
door. I  managed to unbolt it and ran into the street, trying to grab my
clothes on the way."

 After going back to her hotel, she was helped to the local police station
by another  tourist.

 Officers then took her back to the scene of the crime to point out her
attacker.  Although her hair was matted with blood from grazes sustained
during the attack,  she was not seen by a doctor.

 "About an hour and a half after it had happened I was back there with
eight or ten  armed police officers and the Commissioner of Police.

 "I identified the man and he lunged at me again. I was then asked to pick
up his  clothes and a shawl I had been wearing and any other evidence I
thought was  relevant."

 At this point the terrified businesswoman was asked by police to get into
the back of  a police van with her attacker.

 "He was arrested and they said I had to get into the back of the vehicle
with him. I  refused. I was hysterical. I was in a nightmare."

 Once back at the police station she claims she then heard officers beating
up the  suspect. A woman, a complete stranger called in off the street, was
brought in to act  as a translator so that Hazel could give a statement.
Hours later a doctor eventually  saw her - and without her knowledge gave
her a sedative.

 Police then told her she still had to be examined for forensic evidence
and she was  not been allowed to drink or go to the toilet in case this
interfered with the tests.

 She was eventually taken to the hospital six hours after the rape.

 "I just wanted to have a bath. I felt disgusting. In the end I was able to
have a  shower," she says.

 To her further horror, when she returned to her hotel, staff had thrown
out her  belongings.

 Hazel, who has travelled all over the world as a tour executive, says:
"All my stuff  had been thrown outside. It was everywhere. They wanted me
out as quickly as  possible. They didn't want to be associated with a
rape." The following day,  accompanied by a representative from the British
Consular Office, she was asked to  attend an identity parade.

 The man she eventually picked out as her attacker had been allowed to
change his  appearance by shaving his hair and moustache.

 "I was trembling as I had to put my hand on his shoulder to say it was
him," she  says.

 She then had to describe the attack in intimate detail to a judge in front
of all the  members of the ID parade. When she finally got out of the
courtroom, she  collapsed.

 Hazel, whose travel firm had been in financial difficulties since the
September 11 attacks, was then told by authorities that it would be best if
she stayed in Goa.

 She remained there for a further three weeks but the extra time off work
was the  final nail in the coffin for her struggling business.

 She says: "India is still my favourite country in the world. Its people
are warm and  generous, but what I experienced was horrific.

 I DON'T want my complaint to harm the tourist industry there, I just want
people to  be more aware of the dangers. Maybe I was too naive."

 She was assured that her long stay in India meant she would not have to
fly back to  give evidence at the trial. But this week she was told she
should go back to witness  the hearing to secure a conviction.

 "Last week I was told the hearing was on Tuesday, but now I've been told
it's been  postponed and that I could be going any time in the next month.
It's hard to get on  with my life with this hanging over me.

 "But I've been told he could walk free if I don't go back."

 She added: "I'm terrified and scared they will blame me for the attack.
Perhaps they  see me as a blonde Westerner who was asking for it. But I
have to fight for justice.

 "I've been told that if I pay money to the police I could ensure that the
man, who  faces a maximum seven years in jail, would definitely be found
guilty.

 "But I don't want to do things that way. I want it done fair and square.

 "Going back by myself though is something I'm dreading. Some people have
advised me to just drop it all, but I can't now, not after what I've been
through."  Hazel has been told she will have a body guard for her own
protection, as the  alleged rapist was granted bail and is currently a free
man.

 She will also have to find her own accommodation there, but she is hopeful
of a  conviction and believes the court hearing will help her to put the
incident behind  her.

 "I think I will have to pay for my flight back out there, which will be a
struggle, and  I've not been told whether I need a solicitor."

 "The court case has already been postponed once due to lost forensic
evidence.

 "I still don't know if they have found that. Luckily, I have medical
papers that I took  home to show my GP.

 "These state clearly that the doctor who assessed me thought there was a
strong  case of 'forcible sexual intercourse'. My friends have been an
awesome support. I've  spoken to lots of people about it and one admitted
to me that she had also been  raped in Goa.

 "She had never told anyone. If speaking up prevents this happening again,
then it's  worth it."

 A spokesman from the Foreign Office said: "We have been advised that the
lady  involved doesn't have to go back to Goa but it will help her case if
she goes back.

 "We are asking the authorities there to assure us they can condense the
case to two  to three days if she does go back."

 -JOLEEN Sketchley, 23, was also raped in Goa in January 2000 after being
drugged at a bar. Joleen, from Kent, later took an overdose in a bid to
wipe out  memories of the assault and died of a heart attack.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Also in The Mirror, 29 Jul. 2002:
TERROR ABROAD
-Foreign Office figures show the number of rapes abroad have risen sharply
in   recent years due to the explosion in cheap package holidays. Three
million tourists visited Goa, a south Indian beach resort on the country's
west coast every year. Most people visit between December and February
during the Indian winter.

…On  India the Foreign Office warns: "Do not walk alone in isolated spots
in the popular tourist areas especially after dark... There have been
several recent incidents of sexual assault against women in Goa."