--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "J. Almeida" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>No wonder Gandhi was unenthusiastic, as Mr. D'Souza
>himself points out:
>
>'It is impossible to measure, or overlook, the pain
>and humiliation that the British inflicted during
>their long period of occupation. Understandably, the
>Indians chafed under that yoke. Toward the end of the
>British reign in India, Mahatma Gandhi was asked,
>"What do you think of Western civilization?" He
>replied, "I think it would be a good idea." ' - Dinesh
>D'Souza.

The above quote appears to be a deliberate fusion of two separate
paragraphs to show Dinesh D'Souza in better light. The last sentence
of the above "misquoted" paragraph is in fact a separate paragraph in
the actual article. The sentence 'Toward the end of the British reign
in India, Mahatma Gandhi was asked, "What do you think of Western
civilization?" He replied, "I think it would be a good idea"' is a
separate paragraph that is wedged between two paragraphs that convey
a transition from a negative to a positive view of western
civilization, and Gandhi's assertion acts a bridge between the two.

The meaning of Gandhi's assertion is at best ambiguous to a person
who does not know much about Gandhi. On the one hand, it might mean
that at the end of the British reign it would be a good idea if India
adopted the ways of Western civilization. On the other hand, it might
be a witty sarcastic remark suggesting that the West is not yet
civilized, and it would be a good idea if it did.

But one has to know that this D'Souza book is directed towards the
American audience, especially towards right-wing Americans, some of
whom love an Uncle Tom as much as they hate Charles Darwin, and even
those who do not hate Darwin can barely pronounce Gandhi's name, let
alone know what his views on western civilization were.

Cheers,

Santosh