In a message dated 9/2/02 4:27:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< www.goacom.com/goanow/ >>
Goa was thus inherited by Yussuf Adil Shah of Bijapur, one of the Bahamani
Kings, who like the earlier warlords of Govapuri, was also seduced by the
charms of the Resort and to impress his beautiful Begum post-haste, he built
a palace on the banks of the Mandovi, a palace that we now know as the
Secretariat and you may recollect that one of our ministers created more than
a mini stir trying to relive Adil Shah's romantic sojourn during his brief
stay.

Next: VII: The Coming of the Portuguese

       I have learnt from a reliable source that the Secretariat was 'no
Palace' of Adil Shah but a stable for horses. The position, the architecture
and the interior indicate that it was no palace. The gates were wide to
permit horses to be brought in and out of the 'Palace' .

        It is well known that Goa was a port of entry for horses brought for
the various armies of the Deccan. The south of India and the terrain was not
suited for horses but they were needed for warfare, including elephants.
Horses imported into Goa were housed in the Secretariat. It could have been a
palace for horses. The Portuguese collected a tax on the horses imported into
Goa for re-export to the rest of S. India. They forbade others to deal in
horse 'trading.'

       However, I like the style that Alexyz adopts to tell his story and the
only illustration. I will wait for the coming of the Portuguese just like a
lot of Christians are waiting for the Messiah. Well written Alexyz.

       Edgar Martins

   Adil Shah was of royal Turkish origin whose brother intended to murder him
while a child to usurp the throne. He was secretly sent out to Iran where he
was brought up and when old enough came to India as a mercenary to the
Bijapur rulers. He came up to head the Government and made Goa a part of the
Bahamani kingdom. I write this from memory and I would ask to be excused if
the language used is inappropriate.