----- Original Message -----
From: Shantaram Naik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: goanet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 7:21 PM
Subject: [Goanet] Congress Committee on Panaji
Corporation Bill meeting on Wednesday

Dear Mr. Naik,

The last time congress stalwarts went to the court was
the time when Goa assembly was dissolved and elections
were ordered by the Governor on the advise of the
Parrikar Government. The result left a very poor
taste.

Formation of the corporation is the need of the day,
considering the congestion of Panaji and and the needs
of Porvorim today.

The dispute may be about inclusion or non-inclusion of
certain non-urban areas.

I think the congress should consider the issue
rationally. It should not be made an emotional and
Mobocratic issue as it is being made now.

Dr. Ramamurti Raut Desai.

> WAS A PRIOR NOTIFICATION OF THE GOVERNOR REQUIRED ?
>
> Amidst the tremendous resistance that Panaji
Corporation Bill is facing the Congress Party is
preparing its own report through its committee headed
by former M.P. Shri Shantaram Naik.

> Although the Committee has been given 15 days time
by the party, the Committee intends to finalise its
report within next four to five days,Mr Naik said in a
statement,today.

> Mr. Naik said in a statement that the Committee is
going to examine provisions of Article 243Q(2) of the
Constitution which makes it mandatory for the Governor
to declare by a notification "a transitional area", "a
smaller urban area" or a "larger urban area" having
regard to the population of the area, the density of
the population therein, the revenue generated for
local administration,the percentage of employment in
non-agricultural activities, the economic importance
""etc. before constituting a Nagar Panchayats
Municipal Councils or a Municipal Corporation.

> Neither any such notification has, apparently ,been
issued by the Governor nor any exercise which should
precede the notification has been undertaken or even
commenced and, as such, the Bill ,prima facie,
violates a fundamental provision of the Constitution,
he said.

> Mr Naik has prepared the draft report which will be
placed before the GPCC Committee on Panaji Corporation
Bill, on Wednesday, 4th September 10.30 P.M. in
Congress House,Panaji.

> Besides the Chairman the meeting will be attended by
M.L.As Mr. Dayanand Narvenkar,Mr.Francisco
Silveira,Mrs.Victoria Fernandes,Mr. Agnelo Fernandes,
M.K.Shaikh Vice-President of the GPCC, Mr.
Silimkhan,Ex-President of Panaji Municipal Council and
Mr. Vishvanath Halankar,Chairman of GPCC Teachers'
Cell, all whom are the members of the Committee.