NEW SOCCER SEASON AT SOUR GROUND KUWAIT.

The 22nd Season of Sour Ground Foot-ball festival will begin on coming
Friday 13th of this month in the morning with the inaugural match of KIFF
League cum Knock Out Tournament.  The whole credit for initiating our
competitive soccer at Sour Ground should go to United Goans Centre that has
just completed 25 years of its existence.  In the beginning it was only one
tournament League cum Knock Out by UGC but later on Flying Arrows, Ida
Memorial, Mercedes Cup and many other tournaments came into being.  The main
governing body KIFF came at a later stage with the active push by the late
J.P. Demello – International Soccer Referee – and Lawrence Pinto, the latter
put more stress in helping the formation of KIFF.

Since the inception of our soccer at Sour Ground lot of problems took place
on and off the field but during the last 2-3 seasons especially the last
year things went beyond control. Unfortunately, most of the troubles at Sour
Ground are created by Goans only.  Now since this is going to be the new
season let us all hope that everyone involved in this soccer will maintain
discipline and play and play the game for the sheer love of it and not to
create disorder.  This foot-ball of ours is not of high grade and there is
nothing much at stake if someone loses and other wins. The purpose of our
soccer here is to create some sort of entertainment for our community
members.  Before the inception of this soccer many of our youthful boys were
addicted to some bad habbits but due to this soccer they got addicted to
Sour Ground. Unfortunately many of them made bad use of this place and
instead of creating and spreading goodwill they started spreading illwill
thereby soiling the good image of Goan community beautifully carved out by
our early Goans, overwhelming majority of them are no more in Kuwait.

This season will start with the participation of 14 teams, some will be
strong while others weak but all will show their physical prowess and
artistic display of soccer.  First time at Sour Ground latest rules and
regulations will be applied as per the latest FIFA rules.  The refereeing
will be done by KIFF  referees. This refereeing body was given immense
coaching during the last 2 months so that they can use the latest rules and
regulations which may not be known to many of the spectators.  Hence, the
spactotors should be very careful in making hue and cry over any incidents
which may or may not be treated as infringement.  In view of this the
trouble maker spectators first must know the latest rules of our soccer
before raising their voice from the sidelines.

It is my sincere wish to see things moving peacefully at Sour Ground.  This
year the KIFF body is manned by efficient people namely Mr. Vohra as
president and Justin as Sports Secretary besides others and with the help of
participating teams and watchful spectators I am sure everything will go
peaceful.  I have enough confidence in Vohra and his energetic team to act
rightly and very decisively in controlling the situation at Sour.  If they
succeed in dishing out peaceful administration they will be applauded if not
they will be accused. If necessary to put things into order they must be
ready to act very firmly in order to avoid the repetetion of last season's
ugly incidents.  Most of the quarrels at Sour Ground happen because of the
disagreements between the referees and losing teams and their supporters.
Matured and decent people will never take law into their hands and go for
the blood of referees when there are civilized ways to get their grievances
redressed.  We must know one thing and very firmly that this soccer of ours
is just for entertainment and to kill our time, there is nothing big at
stake, it is not an European Cup or World Cup.  Even during the last World
Cup we saw biggest and worst miskates committed by the referees and yet
nobody on and off the field quarrelled.  Hence let everyone involved in this
soccer apply his mind very firmly and try to create goodwill and friendship
amongst all of us and this should be out motto.

I wish all the participating teams and their managements All the best.  So
too KIFF and Kiff Referees.

A. Veronica Fernandes,
Kuwait.